We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pub Crawls Forbidden

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Topic
Pub Crawls Forbidden

The City of Rome has issued a regulation, in effect until December 31, 2010, that forbids the organization of pub crawls, via Internet or by other means.

Bars that host pub crawls will be closed for between three and 60 days and, in case of repeat offenses, their licenses will be withdrawn.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,426 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pub Crawls Forbidden

How would the authorities necessarily know that there is a "pub crawl" going on? I do know that in Barcelona, we saw a number of groups with matching tee shirts and/or head gear and obviously bent on having a good time. Is this to discourage "hen do's" and "stags"?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,807 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pub Crawls Forbidden

I didn't realize it was that big of a problem. I'm not usually out very late but I have really never encountered any problems with drunks or rowdiness.

Donna

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pub Crawls Forbidden

A pub crawl is not a hen do or a stag. It is a commercial operation, for which participants pay a fee to an organizer; in return, they get X - and sometimes unlimited - drinks at participating bars. And yes, participants used to get "pub crawl" T-shirts.

Donna, the regulation was enacted because citizens and residents of Rome complained of noise and rowdiness. Pub crawls do not go to the classier wine bars in the historic center that you might frequent.

Two other regulations limiting noise and littering were issued at the same time.

And let's not forget that a young man from Australia died last summer during or after an organized pub crawl.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,426 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pub Crawls Forbidden

Thanks for the explanation, Zerlina.

rome
Level Contributor
2,119 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pub Crawls Forbidden

Zerlina, do you have a link to that regulation? I keep on getting requests for such things, it would be good to point to. And when did it go in effect? Just last week I saw one in full swing in Testaccio....

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
906 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pub Crawls Forbidden

Wow I am shocked...but kindof glad.

"How would the authorities necessarily know that there is a "pub crawl" going on?"......hmmm, a stampede of 40 or 50 drunk and obnoxious Americans and Brits wouldn't tip you off?? LOL

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pub Crawls Forbidden

WG - you'll find plenty of coverage with a Google 'News' search for the words

Roma pub comune

For instance...

…repubblica.it/cronaca/…

Within an hour or two there are sure to be versions in English, though who knows whether any will make clearer the definition of organised - which I assume to carry a commercial connotation, rather than being a ban on amateur walkabouts?

Peter

rome
Level Contributor
2,119 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Pub Crawls Forbidden

Thanks Peter, I must have missed that in the repubblica yesterday. But actually I was asking for a (possible) link to the ordinanza itself (which I still haven't been able to find), so I can effectively convince people.

I read that article as banning the organized crawls that have the sole purpose of getting drunk and not banning visiting a bar or two on your own or with friends ;)

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pub Crawls Forbidden

It would be no surprise to me if it weren't hidden away in the measures for "sicurezza delle strade" that are described here..

http://www.comune.roma.it/was/wps/portal/!ut/p/_s.7_0_A/7_0_21L?menuPage=/&targetPage=/Homepage/Area_Content/Rubriche__Primo_Piano/Attualit-13-/info-909182360.jsp

But then they'd want to tidy the streets, with this going on as well...

http://www.comune.roma.it/was/wps/portal/!ut/p/_s.7_0_A/7_0_21L?menuPage=/&targetPage=/Homepage/Area_Content/Rubriche__Primo_Piano/Attualit-13-/info-1417504788.jsp

Peter

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
10,669 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pub Crawls Forbidden

When l first read in the beginning l said to myself, this sucks, but after reading all the posts, l guess it looks like a good thing, did not know it was a problem.