We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Via Cavour area question.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
145 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Via Cavour area question.

Do you think it is worth to pay the difference of $360 per person to stay at Bernini Bristol on Piazza Barberini instead of Grand Hotel Palatino on Via Cavour. It seems that Grand Hotel Palatino gets better review on this site, even though Bernini Bristol has better location and graded higher.

I do want to stay at the hotel with a good location. Unfortunately, I can choose from those hotels only.

If I choose Palatino, how far it is to major tourists sites? Will I have to take a taxi or metro all the time to go sightseeing as I plan to stay for one week. How about safety, restaurants and public transportation in that area?

Would you pay $360 per person per week more for better area and hotel?

Stefano's RomeCabs
Historical & Heritage Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
Easitalytours
Walking Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Taxis & Shuttles
Rome Chauffeur
Private Tours, Day Trips, Taxis & Shuttles
DriverinRome Transportation & Tours
Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Taxis & Shuttles
menorca
Level Contributor
414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Via Cavour area question.

Hi Odessachic, I am going to confuse you even more.

Have you looked at the Regis Grand?? It is right by Piazza Repubblica and Via Nazionale and it is absolutely splendid!! I was in and out of there a couple of weeks ago, as I was staying at the Mascagni 4 star right across from it and wanted to see it for myself to plan my next trip.

I promise you the area is nice and within walking distance (10-15 mins) of all the sites (except Vatican which is best to get a bus or taxi). We walked absolutely everywhere. No public transport at all except for the Vatican. I am 48 and fit and my daughter 23 (and fit!!)

I am staying there for sure next year (or maybe even in March!!) Read the reviews!! I dont know what you are paying or when you are going, but I was quoted 280 euros for their standard double in November but they could only put me up for 2 of my 4 nights, so I opted for the Mascagni (which also is lovely , but rooms small unless you upgrade to de luxe). In the Regis, you have the benefit of all the facilities, that´s what you pay for. Their rates vary enormously depending on the site you choose to enquire. I went direct to them and the quote was so much cheaper. Having said all of this, you will only spend the evenings in the hotel (as well as going out for dinner perhaps) so really, at the end of the day it is really only a place to sleep , albeit a super luxurious one!!

regards,

Caroline

PS. The Regis Grand is only a short walk from Berberini

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
145 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Via Cavour area question.

Caroline,

Unfortunately, I had a previous booking to Cancun with Apple Vacations. Due to Hurricane Wilma I had to cancel my Cancun trip and reschedule to other destination. I only have a choice of the following hotels:

Nord Nuova

Universo

Donatello

Savoy

Jolly Leonardo Da Vinci

Grand Palatino

Bernini Bristol

Regina Baglioni

Reading reviews on this board I chose Grand Palatino or Bernini Bristol. As I have to buy it as a package I know I overpay going through Apple vacations. Nothing I can do about it.

Now my question is which hotel and location is better? Bernini bristol will cost $360 per person more but I am willing to pay the price if location is more convenient.

My other question is about airlines. The choice is between Delta and American Airlines, which one is better? I can pick connecting flights or go with a direct flight which will cost more money. Is it too exhausting to fly with connecting flights?

Coeur D'alene, Idaho
Level Contributor
592 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Via Cavour area question.

I don't think there's a huge difference in location -- certainly not enough to warrant paying the extra. I'd suggest the Palatino as the reviews are good and it's less money.

St. Louis
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Via Cavour area question.

I'd agree with the above post. You are in the city center with both. Closer to the Coliseum/Forum with the Palatine, closer to Via Veneto, Spanish Steps / Trevi with the Bristol. But it's all relative. You're in walking distance of most areas and you'll have metro convenient; Barbareni stop or Cavour / Coliseo stops. Walking distance between two areas is like walking from the Drake Hotel down Michigan Avenue to the Chicago River.

Regarding the flights. We've usually saved the money and taken connecting flights. The last two times we've flown, we took the kids so the savings was times four. It's never bothered me getting to Rome. You usually arrive afternoon vs morning. But make sure you have time (couple of hours) to go thru customs at your arrival city. Also, this assumes you don't have any flight delays, which seems to be more common as airlines have dropped flights and squeeze as many as they can on the remaining ones. If its just the two of you, and the the higher cost isn't too great, the direct flight is less hassle.

I'd really prefer the direct flight back to the states. The return day just seems never ending when you make a connection coming back.

St. Louis
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Via Cavour area question.

Oh, I forgot to mention we did fly American last time out of Chicago and it was fine. And, I've flown Delta in the states and they have also been fine. If I knew for sure if I was getting a little more leg room with one or the other, I'd take that into consideration when making my choice.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
653 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Via Cavour area question.

We just got back and I'll agree, every major site in rome is pretty easy to walk to. We'd look at a map and think something was 30 min away and we'd be there in 10 min (on foot). So don't worry too much about location. I'd say it's the last thing of importance, after price and quality (reviews).

To answer your last question -- $360 extra will buy you a lot of sightseeing, souvenirs and dinner. I'd go with the cheaper hotel.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
145 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Via Cavour area question.

Thank you very much for all your help. I will book Grand Palatino with a direct flight on Monday.

menorca
Level Contributor
414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Via Cavour area question.

I agree with everyone too. Only thing I would differ on is forget the souvenirs- buy yourself a gorgeous pair (or 2!) of Italian leather boots instead!!!!