We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Review of Balestrari Apartment from Sleep in Italy

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
142 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Review of Balestrari Apartment from Sleep in Italy

I realized I couldn't do an apartment rental review on TA, so thought I'd post it here. My husband and I rented the "Balestrari" apartment through Sleep in Italy for 4 nights in early May.

Sleep in Italy was great, answered our emails promptly. You pay them a deposit and then you have to pay the balance in cash upon arrival (the downside of renting an apt). The owner met us at the apartment and showed us around. He was very nice, and we had no issues at all, so we didn't need to contact him again.

Overall, I highly recommend this apartment and highly recommend renting an apartment in Rome. We loved the experience of feeling like we lived there! The cost is very reasonable compared to a hotel in the same area and you have a lot more space.

The location was Amazing!! We loved the area, there were so many restaurants and bars nearby and it was very centrally located. The closest transportation is the bus from Largo Argentina. We took bus #60 to the Vatican and to Termini (opposite directions). Those two times were the only times we needed transportation, the rest of the time we walked. Oh, but we did take a cab from the airport and it was really convenient since we didn't know where we were going.

We ate dinner in the neighborhood at Al Balestrari (directly across the street from the apartment - shortest commute ever) which was great, we went back twice. Good food for a reasonable price. We also went to Ar Galletto in Piazza Farnese also a nice place. Another night we went to da Pancrazio (a block from the apt) and the food was outstanding but the service wasn't friendly. For breakfast we found a "bar" about a block away where we'd get pastries a caffe latte and an Orange Juice and stand at the counter to eat.

The apartment had plenty of space, especially for two people. There were two bedrooms but we didn't even go in the other bedroom. The bed is large and pretty comfortable. There are dressers, etc if you want to unpack. There is a dining table and a small love seat in the main room along with a TV. They had pretty much everything you'd need in the kitchen, plus an iron, hair dryer and more. There were plenty of towels too. The washer worked well, but since it was raining while we were there (and no dryer in the apt) we took our clothes to dry at a laundromat about a block away.

The only potential downsides: it is two flights of stairs up (no elevator), there was a little bit of noise from outside although it didn't wake us up or anything (you're far enough off the square not to hear the noise there) and the shower was small and a little moldy. Also, there is no daily maid service, not that anyone would expect that. Remember to bring everything like soap, laundry detergent, lotion, etc. None of that is provided.

I did a google map and marked everything I referenced above. Please let me know if you have any questions!

http://bit.ly/cjTiCB

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
124 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Review of Balestrari Apartment from Sleep in Italy

Thanks Traveltilly for your posts as I am reviewing a few of apartments for October and did come accross this one. It does look nice ;however, my only concern is after all day on my feet- will I have energy to climb the stairs ! I may contact you in the near future as right now I am overwhlemed with so much data and plans and only a month away. Thanks!

Edited: 04 August 2010, 02:32
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,176 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Review of Balestrari Apartment from Sleep in Italy

Write an apt review for Slow travel

http://www.slowtrav.com/reviews/default.asp

other people will read it and get benefits from it. They can search and alphabetize to easily find it when they are searching for an apt

United States
Level Contributor
9,572 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Review of Balestrari Apartment from Sleep in Italy

Has Slowtravel changed it's policy for only allowing regular posters on their boards to submit reviews? When I tried to submit a review it was for premium posters only.

TAB

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
886 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Review of Balestrari Apartment from Sleep in Italy

TAB - I submitted a review of Residenza Giubbonari this past May and I am not a premium subscriber.

new jersey
Level Contributor
144 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Review of Balestrari Apartment from Sleep in Italy

OMG!! YEAHHHH!!! I am so happy to see your review as I will be there in 5 days!!! We have 3 children and 2 adults and the place looked great and price was amazing and of course the location looked to be amazing!!!

Thanks for tips on soaps and detergents. Any other tidbits on bus, train commute or tips on whats the best time to go where?, shopping? would be so appreciated. Also how long did it take for you to get from airport to apt??

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,176 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Review of Balestrari Apartment from Sleep in Italy

In order to post to the the message board or to upload photos to the Photo albums on Slow travel, you need to be a premium subscriber. I did not think you needed to be a premium subscriber to post reviews.

United States
Level Contributor
9,572 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Review of Balestrari Apartment from Sleep in Italy

Mom83,

Are you a regular poster on the Slow Travel site? I'm a "read only" visitor but would like to post some reviews if I can.

TAB

ohio
Level Contributor
1,393 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Review of Balestrari Apartment from Sleep in Italy

Thank you for taking the time to post a review, it really helps to get honest feedback.

Level Contributor
142 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Review of Balestrari Apartment from Sleep in Italy

Budgy26 - we live in a two floor walk up in NYC, so for us it was no big deal, felt like home. I guess you'd know better than anyone.

outtahereNJ - At the end of my review there's a link to a map which marks where the closest bus is located. There really isn't a close train so we either walked or took a bus. It took us about 45-60 min in a taxi from the airport (if I recall correctly). Let me know if you have any other specific questions. Have a wonderful time, you'll love it!

10. Re: Review of Balestrari Apartment from Sleep in Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2011, 07:20