We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Proposing in Rome and other ideas....

Stockport, United...
12 posts
Save Topic
Proposing in Rome and other ideas....

Hi,

I will be travelling to Rome for the 1st time on the 18th June for 3 nights with my Girlfriend and am planning to propose to her whilst there. After reading many similar articles and some general searching of my own, my favourite idea is to do it around sunset on The bridge sant 'angelo (with the angels) facing St Peter's Basilica.

As she is more a private person I was wondering if anyone knew if it's likely to be quiet at that time of night and any other suggestions different to the norm which I may have overlooked.

Also any suggestions of a romantic restaurant to eat and celebrate following the occassion (should she say yes!!) would be greatly appreciated.

We are staying at the fortyseven hotel which I beieve is near the Colisseum

Many Thanks

Cam

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,363 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Proposing in Rome and other ideas....

Ponte Sant'angelo leads to Hadrians Tomb, now known as Castel Sant'Angelo. In the distance you can see a bit of St Peters. Be aware too that the angels hold the symbols of Christ's passion, so crosses, whips, spears and nails, though I agree they are very beautiful. The bridge is pedestrian only and gets a fair few people crossing it but it is never a huge crowd when we were there in summer 2009.

Sunset will be quite late in summer, close to 9pm so you may lose the effect of artificial lighting on the Castel.

This all sounds very negative, sorry. Congratulations and I hope the perfect place and time presents itself. Good luck.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,104 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Proposing in Rome and other ideas....

What about...Pincio, the terrace overlooking Piazza Popolo (and much of Rome). It's a very beautiful location.

Also, my own brother proposed in a church, and there are no end of these in Rome. They are quiet, and you will be private. (unless you think she may start screaming--then it may not be such a good idea).

Lucky girl...

rome
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Proposing in Rome and other ideas....

well, I am afraid it won't be very private - there are definitely people around at sunset on the bridge.

Here is a picture where you can see the Sant' Angelo bridge (taken from the bridge one further north) and St Peter:

…wordpress.com/2010/01/31/jan-31-2010/

and here is one from last saturday, at the one end of the Sant' Angelo Bridge.

…wordpress.com/2010/05/29/may-29-2010/

it is beautiful there!

4. Re: Proposing in Rome and other ideas....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2010, 14:36
Stockport, United...
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Proposing in Rome and other ideas....

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated....

Anyone else out there have any more ideas and can anyone recommend a romantic restaurant?

Waterbury...
Level Contributor
728 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Proposing in Rome and other ideas....

This where I'm taking my wife for dinner for our 20th anniversary:

hotelforumrome.com/exclusive_hotel_rome.htm

Hard to beat a rooftop restaurant for romantic ambiance IMO. Besides this one there are several other good ones throughout Rome that I'm sure others can recommend. I chose this one due to it's location being fairly close to the apartment we're renting, and the fact that it was recommended by a fellow TA user. And I just couldn't pass up the awesome view of the Forum as a backdrop.

I'm certain that whichever restaurant you chose, you'll create wonderful memories that will last a lifetime.

All the best to you both!

Edited: 04 June 2010, 12:00
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Proposing in Rome and other ideas....

Something more private may be the orange park, on the Aventine hill. It overlooks most of the city and doesn't get much traffic.

Hot Sulphur...
Level Contributor
880 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Proposing in Rome and other ideas....

Carry the ring with you! You will know when you find the right spot.

Congratulation! We are all routing for you!!!!!!!!!

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
11,926 posts
602 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Proposing in Rome and other ideas....

If you think the bridge Sant'Angelo is the best for you, it is the main thing; unfortunately it is never very quiet; especially in the summer it is quite crowded by passer-by and always full of hawkers (I don't find hawkers very romantic...)

If you like bridges and views over the Tiber, I could suggest the Tiber Island, especially down to the enbankment (the lowest point, the closest to the river - sorry for my English); it is usually quiet and not particularly crowded, and the view on the Ponte Rotto (the ruin of an ancient Roman bridge, left apart from the banks and full of vegetation) is very impressive, and in MY opinion - everyone is different - it might be the "right" place.

Pasadena, CA
Level Contributor
472 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Proposing in Rome and other ideas....

I haven't been, but the #1 recommended restaurant for romance and special occasions on TA is Hosteria Appia Antica, out on the Appian Way. Check out the reviews on TA; sounds terrific and just what you're looking for.

Good luck. Your fiancee is a lucky gal.