We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long by Bus??

Australia
Level Contributor
383 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
How long by Bus??

Hello again

Checking all the minor details now.

I am staying behind the Pantheon in August, and going by bus to the Vatican, Borghese Museum, and Roma Termini as I need to get to these places by a specific time. I was wondering if someone could tell how long these trips would take so I can work out what time I should leave..

Thank you again for all the help planning this trip :)

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: How long by Bus??

That's really difficult to say. The buses don't follow their posted schedules other than the first and last times of the day.

I suggest you give yourself a lot of flexibility with times, otherwise you'll end up being really frustrated.

That said, you should have about a 5-10 min. walk to Corso Vittorio (Emanuele II) to the Largo Argentina stop in front of the Feltrinelli bookstore. From there you can take the 40 to P.ZA PIA/CASTEL S. ANGELO (end of line), or the 64 to CAVALLEGGERI/S. PIETRO. It's only about 10-15 min to those stops, but you could wait just as long to catch the bus, depending on the time of day.

To Termini, you'll go to Largo Argentina as well, but the stop is in front of the 8 tram on the street perpendicular to Feltrinelli. It's the same distance in the opposite direction, so about 15 min. on the 40 or 64.

For the Galleria Borghese, I'd take the 63 from CORSO/MINGHETTI (Via del Corso) to the PO/TEVERE stop. That's about 15-20 min by bus, but it can take a half hour to wait for the 63.

Edited: 02 June 2010, 10:14
Australia
Level Contributor
383 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long by Bus??

Michael thankyou so much I will write that down, I have asked a few questions about the buses and still have no confedence, should be fun :-o

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How long by Bus??

"The Vatican" as a destination is meaningless; Vatican City is large.

Michael has given you directions for St. Peter's Square or Basilica. If you have to be there at a specific time, I assume it's for a tour of the Vatican Museums. From the No. 40 or No. 64 bus stops, it's a l-o-n-g walk to the Vatican Museums, which are on the other side of Vatican City.

At Largo Argentina, take the No. 492 bus to the stop Bastioni di Michelangelo, which is much closer to the Vatican Museums. The No. 492 theoretically goes every 15 minutes; the ride itself will take about 15 minutes, depending on traffic.

For the Galleria Borghese, I'd take the little No. 116 electric bus that has stops very close to both the Pantheon and the museum; I'd give it a good 20 minutes, not counting waiting time of 10-15 minutes.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
89,122 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long by Bus??

You will find that the bus stops very clearly show which bus routes stop there, and they give a list of all the other stops to the route terminus. The problem is that the traffic in central Rome is chaotic, so you can never tell when the next bus is going to turn up. Allow plenty of time for your journey, and then add some more.

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long by Bus??

You can also get the No. 62 bus from Largo Argentina (outside the bookshop) to St Peter's Square. I think this bus goes a bit nearer to the Vatican Museum, which I'm assuming you want as you have a time constraint. As you approach St Peter's Basilica, the bus will turn right and then right again. Get off at the stop just as it turns into Via dei Corridori. I think it's the terminus anyway. As you get off the bus, turn right, cross over the road behind the bus, and go through the archway opposite the Colonnade – don't go through the first arch. You will see the walls of the Vatican. If you just follow the wall round, you will eventually come to the Vatican Museum.

Edited: 02 June 2010, 11:10
Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: How long by Bus??

Zerlina's right. I love that walk, but maybe it's not the most convenient for you. On the other hand, I loathe the electric bus, in spite of liking the idea of being green. It's a good, direct option though, if not a bit slow.

7. Re: How long by Bus??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 November 2010, 08:02