We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in Rome

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Things to do in Rome

I am a single parent travelling to Rome from Australia with my 4 daughters in January for 1 week. Their ages are 20,17,15 and 13. What are some fun, inexpensive and memorable things that we can do? Any suggestions appreciated.

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
1,336 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do in Rome

Dear Tourist6,

The Trevi Fountain is free. I don't know how "fun" it is, but it is definitely memorable! Also free, is the Roman Forum. It, too, is astonishing. Another freebie is the Boca de Verita-the Mouth of Truth- The legend is that it will bite off the hand of anyone not telling the truth. In reality, it is an ancient well cover and quite harmless.

For a bit of greenery, I would suggest going to the Borghese Gardens. There, you can rent bicycles and zoom around, weather permitting.

It might be fun to rent the movie Roman Holiday. You can then go see the places they shot in the movie in real life.

Hope this helps.

Ciao!

Coeur D'alene, Idaho
Level Contributor
579 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do in Rome

Hi tourist6

If you and your 4 daughters (I have one teenage daughter -- you have my sympathies...) like cats you can always check out Torre Argentina which has a cat sanctuary hidden away in the ruins. It's close to the Pantheon, in the center of the city and you can go in and talk to the volunteers and spend time with the cats. Because of the location and the ambience it's definitely an "italian" experience and definitely free...

Tampere
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do in Rome

A nice day trip will be Tivoli. Check how Villa d’Este is open in January. The best way to reach Tivoli is by train – not in over loaded old busses. The train is inexpensive and the views during the trip are superb. Perhaps also a visit in some catacomb will be a experience. I beat as well the shopping facilities in Rome drive the daughters crazy :-)

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
2,157 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do in Rome

Borghese Gardens are a good idea; take them up in the tethered hot air balloon for a 360 view over Rome while you're there. Take them up to Piazza Garibaldi to watch the howitzer cannon shoot a blank over Rome to mark the noon hour. The cannon is kept underneath the Garibaldi statue and military wheel it out every day. Pretty memeorable (loud and smokey, free). In fact, its pretty fun to walk up the hill, starting at the Ponte Sisto. It's a good climb and you can pass Trastevere, Bramante's Tempietto, The Aqua Paula, and the greenery of Garibaldi park along the way (allow half-hour). Write again for specific directions. A Walk from the Trevi to Piazza Navona at night is also memorable: starting at Trevi take the pedestrian only street to the left as you face it and keep going with the light stream of people. The street is filled with street vendors and cafe life so its a fun atmosphere. Cross the big Corso and you'll find yourselves at the Pantheon, also fun at night. From there, take Via Giustiniani (also ped-only), grab a gelato from the shop there, and go a few short blocks into Navona.

Rome
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do in Rome

The markets at San Giovanni during the weekdays until 2pm are fun.

Porta Portese markets at Trastevre on Sunday until 1pm are good but beware of pickpockets - its the largest market in Europe.

Borghese Gallery is beautiful.

Students at S.Peters Basilica at the Vatican give free tours most mornings - and they are great!

Make sure students have valid student ID for Museum for the discounts. Passport not accepted. If they happen to be from Adelaide or Perth they can get discounts at Coliseum/Palatine.

There is a 7 day Archeo ticket as well for Coliseum, Palatine, Caracalla etc. thats cheaper that individual tickets about €24 (each ticket is €10) - ask at the Coliseum ticket office.

All round Spanish Steps, via del corso and around Pantheon are side-streets with lots of shops.

Best tourist shops are at and around Vatican City.

Castel S.Angelo is nice for views and hot chocolate until 8pm.

Use the red tourist buses as a form of public transport - you see sights and you can jump on and off at various stops!

UK
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do in Rome

Your daughters should enjoy climbing inside the cupolo at the Vatican. You have to go past the main door to the right and there is normally a sign pointing you in the right direction. It is a narrow and winding journey up to the top where you will get wonderful views over Rome. Before you get to the top you can also look out on the inside down to the Vatican Interior. It is a bit of a steep climb but perfectly manageable for the reasonably fit.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
2,157 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do in Rome

Why didn't I think of that, Gingertop! Good addition.