We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much time ?

Montreal (Québec)
Level Contributor
863 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
How much time ?

Hello, if I book a visit for the Colosseum, Roman Forum and Palatine Hill, how much time should I plan?

I will be in Rome only one day and a half and I am not sure if I should include those visits or not to my itinerary.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,674 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much time ?

Are you talking about booking a tour or just going to see them?

You can see the three sites in a few hours if you don't go inside the colosseum. If you go inside you'll need at least 4 hours to visit all three and that'll be rushing it.

If you mean a tour, it depends on the tour you sign up for.

Donna

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,133 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How much time ?

If on your own you can take however much time you want - everyone goes at their own pace and if these are places you really want to see, you should go. Maybe you will come back in the future and see those places more completely another time if you don't have the time this trip.

But - it all depends on you and what you want to see based on your interests. If you have other things you want to see more in your short time, then prioritize according to those interests.

Montreal (Québec)
Level Contributor
863 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much time ?

Can I visit the forum and Palatine without a tour?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,133 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How much time ?

You can visit all three without a tour.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,674 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much time ?

The only sites in Rome where you have to have a guide are the catacombs and the scavi tour at St. Peter's. The rest of the city is open for individual visits.

Donna

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much time ?

If you are not booking a tour and doing all these sights yourself, you will need to leave yourself approx an hour for the queue to get into the Coleseum. The Forum and Palentine Hill do not have any queues to get into them.

Montreal (Québec)
Level Contributor
863 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much time ?

Ok, so for all three, waiting included, how much time should I plan? I know I can go at my own pace but the objective here is to plan my itinerary and decide if I have enough time or not,

This was not something I wanted to do at first so your help is valuable!

8. Re: How much time ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2010, 14:36
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,112 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much time ?

The Coloseum and the Roman Forum is a combined ticket--you will queue an hour if you wait at the Coloseum, but the Forum line is much shorter, so wait there.

Coloseum and the Roman Forum could be done quickly...or you could focus on other parts of Rome like Piazza Navona, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, Piazza Popolo. These are all free. You can also wander around the Coloseum/Roman Forum area if you are really pressed for time. You don't HAVE to go in. If you buy tickets, I think you can count on several hours of touring those sites.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,674 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much time ?

If you buy your tickets for the colosseum combo at the palatine hill entrance you will only wait a few minutes in line and then can bypass the line at the colosseum. 3-5 hours should be enough time to see all three sites.

Donna