We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To all the Rome Experts.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
To all the Rome Experts.

I am going to Rome in January for four days and from the advice and tips on this Forum have devised a comfortable but very comprehensive itinerary.

One of the major sights that I want to visit is Santa Maria Della Concezione de Cappuccini and I have 'earmarked' this for the Monday afternoon of the day that we fly home.

Can anyone assure me that it will be open on a Monday, (specifically 30th January), as I would hate to miss my only chance of visiting by leaving it to the last day?

It appears that on most days it is open 9am-12noon and 3-6pm.

Thank you.

Rome,Italy
Level Contributor
526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: To all the Rome Experts.

Interesting church...I've given a few friends nightmares taking them there.A must-see...

It's closed on Thursdays.

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,530 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To all the Rome Experts.

Why the nightmares? And what's your opinion on why this is a must-see? We'll be in Rome in May for only a couple of days, and although we've been before, we'll be with a couple who have not, so we have to do all of the major things (Vatican for Sistine Chapel, St. Peter's, Coliseum, Trevi Fountain to assure our return!). Can you describe the church a little. I'll probably google it, too. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Vatican
Vatican
234 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,530 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To all the Rome Experts.

Oh my Lord! I googled...got the nightmares already. Gotta visit!!!!!

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
276 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To all the Rome Experts.

No one can ensure that it will be open on that Monday. If it is a must-see for you, I would not leave it until the last day. It is not that far from the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, or Galleria Borghese so if it is a definite must-see, I would go one of the first days you are there.

Churches are not always open when they say they will be.

It was closed in 2004 when I visited Rome and I was greatly disappointed. I visited in November 2005 and it was interesting, but not as interesting as I thought it would be.

Enjoy your trip.

Mentioned in this post
Spanish Steps
Spanish Steps
18,307 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,852 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To all the Rome Experts.

The church & crypt are closed daily from 12-3. It will only take 20-30 minutes to view the crypt. I would not save any "must see" for the last day of your trip. There could always be a special closing that would prevent you from entering.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: To all the Rome Experts.

Thanks to all for the advise. For those that wish to know about this sight here is some information from various websites:

Crypt of the Cappuccin Monks in Santa Maria della Concezione. Via Veneto . Painstakingly and artistically arranged, the thousands of bones here aren't technically relics, in that they aren't the remains of saints, but if you've only got time for one body-part church in your itinerary, make it this one. You won't be sorry. Who would have thought you could make a chandelier out of tibias? The Cemetery is actually five small underground chapels under the church of Santa Maria della Concezione, which was commissioned in 1626. At the time, it was customary for bodies to be buried in and under churches, and in 1631, Cardinal Antonia Barberini (the brother of then-Pope Urban XIII) ordered the remains of thousands of Capuchin monks to be exhumed and transported from another friary to the crypt at the church, and the monks continued to be interred there until the late-1800s. But the bones were not simply buried or placed in tombs. Instead they were used to create elaborate works of art, mosaics of interlocked bones and skeleton sculptures, some still draped in the robes they wore in life. The crypt features the bones of 4000 Capuchin friars decorating a crypt like an Undead Better Homes and Gardens. Archways are made out of hundreds of human skulls stacked on top of each other. Chandeliers made of finger bones, fibia and tibia hang above. Vertebrae arranged in deocrative patterns crawl along every inch of the wall and ceiling. Bone angels with scapula as wings fly overhead with an inscription "What you are now we used to be, what we are now you will be." And a few hooded skeletons are standing around making it look like a Grim Reaper's cocktail party.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Maria
Santa Maria
Ilha do Sal, Cape Verde
boston
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: To all the Rome Experts.

I think an even better church is San Clemente. It's just steps from the Colosseum, and it really helps you understand how Rome was built layers over layers of history. Under the beautiful church, there is another paleo-christian church, under the church there is a Roman villa and a mytraeum for the ancient cult of the god Mitra...

A MUST SEE, I used to take all my guests there!

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: To all the Rome Experts.

Already got that on my itinerary!