We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegan places to eat in Rome?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
west midlands uk
Level Contributor
154 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Vegan places to eat in Rome?

Hi

Im visiting Rome in July for 5 days. Im vegan my friend is vegetarian.

Are there any good restaurants that serve vegan food in Rome that people think are really good?

Im hoping there are supermarkets selling soya milk and marg as we are room only but have a mini fridge so can keep things cool.

Im guessing its possible to have pizza with veggies on just no cheese, also hope I can find pasta that is not an egg one.

Also thinking the small delis might have take out salad/veggie dishes that would be good for a picnic lunch.

I doubt Il find vegan wines - going to be such a shame not having some wine with a meal in Italy!

farmington Hills MI
Level Contributor
686 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vegan places to eat in Rome?

Il Margutta is a vegetarian restaurant (though they do have some vegan choices) that was delicious, and one of our favorite meals. It is near the Spanish steps

http://www.ilmargutta.it

rome
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vegan places to eat in Rome?

A vegan is more strict than a vegetarian? sorry for the question but I'm not much into the differences. A vegetarian should be fine but if you don't eat dairies and eggs we must search further more...

Let me know

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Vegan places to eat in Rome?

What is vegan wine? There are no animal products or byproducts used in the production of any wine.

rome
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vegan places to eat in Rome?

Yes Zerlina...vegan wine?

Anyway, I read the question again and now have a clearer idea. Our margarina is only vegetable. Normal pasta is made of durum wheat. Pasta all'uovo (with eggs) is usually: fettuccine, lasagna, ravioli, pappardelle, tagliatelle and more and more. You should search in internet either for an italian dictionary so you can find the correspondent names of the various veggies, eggs and so on. and for alla Pasta all'uovo different types.

The sauce you should avoid is Ragu (with grounded meat) and then Cannelloni, Lasagna. Ravioli are usually filled with ricotta cheese&spinach so no chance.

Anyway you can live on our appetizers: bruschetta and all types of grilled, marinated veggies.

try to digit "vegan restaurants in Rome" ciaoooo

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vegan places to eat in Rome?

This site, which more usually gets mentioned for its 'sala fumatori' list, also has one for vegetarian and vegan places - start here....

italianodoc.com/vegetariani/ristoranti.veget…

Peter

rome
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Vegan places to eat in Rome?

there *are* some animal products used in the making of wine - gelatin, casein and egg whites are some of the animal products used in clearing/fining wines after fermentation. They do *not* remain in the wine, but whoever has strong issues with them can object to this. I would suggest looking for "unfiltered" wines, which are becoming more and more popular.

rome
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Vegan places to eat in Rome?

ps: producers are not *required* to give this info, but some have started writing "non filtrato" on the labels to indicate unfiltered - which would mean vegan.

rome
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vegan places to eat in Rome?

Oh cabbage, Cavolo, wine_gal....they don't mention this when visiting a Cantina. It's not a problem to me but now I understand it is for a vegan. Grazie

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vegan places to eat in Rome?

And, depending on one's stance on fish, it may be worth noting that both wine and beer producers often use this....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isinglass

We certainly did in our university mini-brewery!

Peter

Edit to add a PS:

Sorry, but I have to add this... "The Vegetarian Society has made a great effort to educate caterers in particular on this point by insisting that fish do not grow on trees"

Edited: 09 June 2010, 14:00
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,485 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vegan places to eat in Rome?

There are few macrobiotic restaurants in Rome. These use no dairy products or eggs. They do allow fish, but if you avoid their fish dishes, the menu should be acceptable to vegans. One restaurant is at the Centro Macrobiotico on Via della Vite, in central Rome. There is a restaurant called Govinda run by a Hare Krishna group on Via della Pianta, also in the center of Rome. Arancia Blu is a vegetarian restaurant that has a number of vegan choices on the menu; it's a bit far from the center, on Via Prenestina, 396e. The number 14 bus from Termini station, going in the direction of Togliatti, goes there; it looks like a very good restaurant and might be worth the trip:

http://www.aranciabluroma.com/default.html

The web page is only in Italian, but you can use translate.google.com to get fairly decent translation.