We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How prevalent is Ice Cubes in Italy

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cullman, Alabama
Level Contributor
618 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
How prevalent is Ice Cubes in Italy

Ice is something that we take for granted as many people love ice to chew on. How prevalent is it in Italy? Word has it that ice is available only in some places.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,221 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How prevalent is Ice Cubes in Italy

It is not generally available, as Italians do not drink iced water with their meals. Instead, they have a chilled mineral water, with no ice. If you go to a restaurant that aims entirely for tourists (or a McDonalds), you might get ice but the food at such restaurants is usually not good.

Richmond Hill...
Level Contributor
376 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How prevalent is Ice Cubes in Italy

It's not that ice is not available... it's just that Europeans don't like / need ice in their drinks.

Edited: 08 June 2010, 06:45
United States
Level Contributor
449 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How prevalent is Ice Cubes in Italy

Hello,

If you really want ice in your drink, you best ask for it. We don't really enjoy a super cold beverage with our meals or as a refreshing break.

Ciao!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How prevalent is Ice Cubes in Italy

Those "Word has it"s that visitors come up with are amusing, aren't they? No doubt perfectly rational at home, people on vacation convince themselves of the oddest things!

Anywhere that serves bottles of white wine or drinks such as a proper Campari soda or gin tonic will certainly have ice, although you may need to ask for it specifically when ordering Cokes etc - but at a roadside snacks and cold drinks van, as you'll see in some places in Rome, you may well be out of luck.

Whilst I've not seen people having separate supplies brought for chewing on, I doubt that would be the most bizarre request the waiters have had!

Peter

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How prevalent is Ice Cubes in Italy

On recent trips to Rome, we've often been asked if we wanted ice in our drinks. Maybe it's my American accent. However, despite being born and raised in the US, I've never liked ice in my drinks. Water and soft drinks are served cold in Italy, and that's sometimes even a bit too cold for me.

rome
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How prevalent is Ice Cubes in Italy

LOL....I'm just back from a weekend in Cilento Coast. In Palinuro my friend sent her "crodino" (soft aperitivo drink) back cause they put "a lot" of ice cubes in it!

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
906 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How prevalent is Ice Cubes in Italy

Even at mcdonalds, it is not unusual to get a big old coke with no ice in it, or with two tiny little cubes.

Years ago, while staying in a hotel on the Amalfi Coast a friend unknowingly asked for a BUCKET of ice for the room. I had my doubts about this guy producing ice, and when she asked me if I'd go check it out because it was taking too long, I went to the kitchen are to find the man trying to scrape ice off the freezer walls with a screwdriver and hammer. I will never forget that scene. Priceless.

rome
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How prevalent is Ice Cubes in Italy

You made me laugh so loud my co-workers asked what happened.

I have an old fridge with a small freezer and I just don't have room for ice-cubes. Tho hubby doesn't care an heck for ice in Rome, in Chicago he was delighted by our friends fridge: "see, see, it even makes ice cubes!!" Well DH we'll have to restyle our "gallery" kitchen and buyan American frigorifero!

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,027 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How prevalent is Ice Cubes in Italy

I have never been asked if I wanted ice in anything when I was in Italy. In my Rome apt I made ice in the ice tray in the freezer, bought a Coke at the local market and enjoyed Coke with ice at my apt at the end of the day.

Italians believe that drinking drinks with ice will make you sick and give you a sore throat. Obviously some of us have been drinking drinks with ice in it ti for 50+ years with no ill effects, but that doesn't seen to stop them from telling you how bad it is for your health.

rome
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How prevalent is Ice Cubes in Italy

most people who claim there are no ice cubes in Italy are mixing up two concepts:

There usually are no ice cubes in drinks - if they are meant to be cold, they are chilled (in a fridge etc.) and served that way. But a lot of pre-dinner aperitivi drinks are served with ice cubes in them, though maybe not as filled to the brim as in the US.

But

There are ice cubes in almost any ristorante and trattoria and bar - they need it to put the wine bottles in table-side, to keep their seafood cold, etc.

So:

Just ask if you need it in your drink! 98% of the time, you will get some!