We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging for family with 2 teens for 3 nights: hotel vs apt?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
395 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Lodging for family with 2 teens for 3 nights: hotel vs apt?

For a family of 4 that includes 2 teens, would you recommend hotel lodging or looking for an apartment rental for a 3-night stay in Rome? We would like to be within walking distance of at least some of the classic first-time Rome attractions. I realize this is a broad question, but at this point have formulated no preconceived notions for what lodging we would like. Probably a July or August visit next summer.

United States
Level Contributor
449 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging for family with 2 teens for 3 nights: hotel vs apt?

Hi! Personally I would go for an apartment - def cheaper, and without the worries of hiding stuff in your room, locking things up in safes, etc... You could probably splurge more on a really nice apt rather an a mediocre hotel!

Ciao!

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,960 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging for family with 2 teens for 3 nights: hotel vs apt?

After the number in the party reaches 3, an apt is cheaper and saner for everyone involved.

I have used this agency 3 times with great results

rome-accommodation.net/apartments-rome.xhtml

Edited: 09 June 2010, 01:57
Marysville
Level Contributor
241 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodging for family with 2 teens for 3 nights: hotel vs apt?

Apartment, apartment, apartment!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
395 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodging for family with 2 teens for 3 nights: hotel vs apt?

Much appreciated, thank you all, and future responses welcome.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,269 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lodging for family with 2 teens for 3 nights: hotel vs apt?

Check out the Navona Gallery Suites. The Michelangelo Suite would be great for you with the stocked refrigerator.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Lodging for family with 2 teens for 3 nights: hotel vs apt?

i'd suggest sticking with hotels ONLY if no one here knew of an apartment rental agency to suggest. But luckily someone has suggested one theyve used a few times, so it must be trustworthy!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lodging for family with 2 teens for 3 nights: hotel vs apt?

I myself prefer hotels, because they have a higher level of services, which I'm willing to pay for, even though I choose the cheapest hotels I can find that are clean and comfortable. I would put four people who want to remain together as the level at which I'd start considering apartments. I also consider apartments when some of the party have a very different bedtime that others; in this case, I'd want a separate bedroom for the early-to-bedders.

Apartments are also convenient when you're traveling with small children or elderly people, for whom two meals a day in a restaurant may be a strain for all concerned, or who may need to eat supper earlier than the normal dinner hour where you are. There are other ways to avoid eating every meal in restaurants, though. When I traveled with my elderly mother, I fixed her a simple meal every evening in our hotel room from things I found in the market or at the grocer.

I really like coming back after sightseeing and finding my room made up, and I like having a front desk to go to when I have a problem or a question. I also don't like paying cash in advance, as you usually have to do with an apartment. However, I occasionally find that, on a particular trip, the advantages of an apartment outweigh the disadvantages.

8. Re: Lodging for family with 2 teens for 3 nights: hotel vs apt?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2010, 07:43