We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Rome from Milan along the coast

Sydney
Level Contributor
354 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Driving to Rome from Milan along the coast

Hi all, we're considering driving from Milan to Rome on 5th Jan 2011 along the coast. First stop Genoa for breakfast then along Cinque Tere. Lunch at Pisa and then all the way to Rome. We'll take our time to enjoy the scenery. Some body from Australia told me that we can not drive through Cinque Tere because there's no road. We have to catch the train. Is that true?

The questions are they good roads, well sign-posted to drive and what is the traffic like the day before Epiphany holiday? Please also recommend a hotel near central Rome with secure overnight parking (understand the ZTL zone, we could stay around Colosseum area). We need to drive to Fiucimino airport in the morning

rome
Level Contributor
2,179 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to Rome from Milan along the coast

visi8, just have a look at a map. There is a highway, as well as the old Roman Aurelia road (numbered ss1), that goes exactly the route you want. Obviously, Pisa is a little detour. There is indeed no road that will take you through the 5 villages themselves, but the ss1 takes you through the park. I lived in 5 Terre for 1,5 years, the whole area/park is lovely, you don't necessarily have to go through the villages. If you want to see any of them, you'll need to park in the designated areas for each and walk down to the village itself. Note that ss1 is very scenic but it is mostly a 2 lane country road, and winding at times, so it will take a long time.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,130 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to Rome from Milan along the coast

This is not really a one-day trip. Even by the shortest route (past Bologna and Florence), it is some 575 km and would take at least 6 hours of solid driving plus any stops. This trip would be mostly along autostrada (motorways) which are very busy and very boring.

If you go via Genoa, Pisa, and Grosseto, the distance is 650 km and it would take at least 8 hours of solid driving, plus time for detours and stops. This would mostly be along old two-lane country roads that go through the towns.

If you want to actually see anything on this journey, you would need to split it over at least two days. Trust me when I tell you that driving in Italy is not like driving in Australia. The towns are closer together; the speed limit is lower (90 km/h on ordinary country road); and there is much, much more traffic.

rome
Level Contributor
2,179 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to Rome from Milan along the coast

Nick, the genoa - coast road would not *necessarily* be "mostly along country roads" - that route of 650k can be made by just 200k of ss1, the rest highway (A7 to genoa, then mostly A12, except where it hasn't been built yet, where he has to take the ss1, which in this part is rather good and modern). We have driven this exact route a couple of times, and it usually is around 6 hrs if it is not a sunny weekend day. (more traffic then on ss1). Both this route and the shortest route, completely highway, over Firenze, are totally and easily doable in one day, with stops, but not extensive.

But if the OP wants to see stuff, he could also take the ss1 all the way from Genoa to Rome, which really would take a long time - I would then also suggest dividing up in 2, maybe staying overnight in the Bolgheri area.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,130 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to Rome from Milan along the coast

Wine Gal: Yes, of course you are right about the amount of autostrada on the route nearer the coast: I was misreading my mapping.

ViaMichelin gives a time of 5h46 for Genoa-Rome, so an actual time of 6 hours sounds about right. For the full Milan-Rome trip, ViaMichelin gives a time of 7h31, so I stick with my estimate of 8 hours of actual driving, plus stops.

rome
Level Contributor
2,179 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving to Rome from Milan along the coast

No, I meant 6 hrs Milano - Roma on the Genoa route, and I don't mean estimates etc. but actual experience, and not only once.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,201 posts
1,441 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving to Rome from Milan along the coast

Why not stay overnight at Fiucimino airport as it would be easier than going into Rome. We always stay at the hilton as its in a wonderful location to the airport.

wotif.com/hotels/italy-rome-airport-fiumicin…

…hilton.com/en_US/…index.do

EM.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,130 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving to Rome from Milan along the coast

>>No, I meant 6 hrs Milano - Roma on the Genoa route<<

Yes, but you're Italian. It's very unusual for ViaMichelin to have a time estimate that is more than the time a tourist would take to drive the route.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,487 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving to Rome from Milan along the coast

Going into Genoa for breakfast could add an hour to this journey, plus the time for breakfast. If you do want to complete this journey comfortably in a day, stay well clear of the centres of all large cities like Genoa and Pisa as you'll get entangled in traffic and have difficulty finding parking. Even medium-size places like Rapallo, Chiavari, la Spezia and Grosseto could be best avoided.

If you must leave the Austostrada or the high-speed SS1 via Aurelia, stick to some of the very many attractive small places nearby to the turn-offs.

rome
Level Contributor
2,179 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving to Rome from Milan along the coast

lol!

I take it as a complement, Nick, but I am not Italian - German/Turkish here!

Sydney
Level Contributor
354 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving to Rome from Milan along the coast

We're doing this trip mainly to have a feel for Cinque Tere area while coming back to Rome for our flight home the next day.

Long distance drive does not bother us too much so long as we get good breaks to stretch our legs and nice view as a bonus. We'll try to avoid Genoa then but still like to see the leaning tower in Pisa. What do you think ?