We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Areas to eat and drink for 9 on a budget

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
112 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Areas to eat and drink for 9 on a budget

We're flying to Rome on Thursday 17 June. We're a group of 9 friends staying near the termini train station.

I'm worried that we'll struggle to find restaurants and bars that have space for us. We're on a budget too. Does anyone have any advice about which areas we could explore and find nice pizzerias, bars etc suitable for a group on a budget?

Thanks in advance!

Level Contributor
745 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Areas to eat and drink for 9 on a budget

There are a LOT of restaurants and bars in the area around Termini. You should have no trouble finding some that suit your budget and numbers.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,019 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Areas to eat and drink for 9 on a budget

All the restauratns in Rome post their menus so that you can know the prices before you go in. Rome has a great amny restaurants all voer and they are not organized in in one section by price.

Pizza in Italy is a dinner meal and often even at restaurants with pizzeria in the name don't serve pizzza until dinner (after 7 pm). There are lots of small takeaway places all over Rome selling pizza by weight after 7 pm. I used to buy extra and store it in the frig in my apt and heat it fro breakfast in the mroning in the apt microwave.

What do you mean by "budget" exactly?

Here's a map of the area near Terminh with some restauratns marked on it

maps.google.com/maps/ms…

I usually eat at La Piazzetta near tha cavour Metro stop with it's all yo9u can eat Antipasto bar for 10 euro.

Edited: 15 June 2010, 14:00
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,019 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Areas to eat and drink for 9 on a budget

Actually it's not all you can eat. It's 10 eur0 per plate and you can fill up the palte

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

then there is a 5 euro per plate dessert bar

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Areas to eat and drink for 9 on a budget

You don't say what the budget is so it is a bit difficult to recommend certain places but as stated above, you will find many places with pizza/pasta that you can choose from - when I was in Rome recently, I ate at one of my fave pizza places near Piazza Navona (just a few streets away from the main square) called Navona Notte - good inexpensive pizza, which I think was about 7 euros (cannot recall exactly right now). They also have different pasta dishes and room for parties of your size. Address: Via del Teatro Pace, 44

You can just put the address in the google search box and little map will show up. I assume that just because you are staying near Termini that you don't feel a need to eat around there? It is a pretty charmless area and you can certain go to more interesting areas and eat affordably.

Stay away from restaurants that are situated right on a square like Piazza Navona, Campo d'Fiori, Pantheon, etc because they will be more expensive and usually not very good as they cater mostly to tourists.

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
112 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Areas to eat and drink for 9 on a budget

Firstly, thanks so much for your replies - much appreciated.

Budget wise, if we could sit down and eat pizza or pasta and drink some wine for €20 max each that would be our ideal. I don't know how realistic that is! Having never been to Rome I'm imagining it to be similar to Paris in terms of the price and number of overpriced touristy restaurants. I realize we need to stay away from the tourist hot spots and I've read some of the forum (drink prices hidden from the menu etc). Although we're young, we'd rather spend our money sitting outside drinking wine with a meal than heading to night clubs, but we're not rich :)

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
112 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Areas to eat and drink for 9 on a budget

Thanks for the recommendation MomCat. We'll check out Navona Notte.

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
112 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Areas to eat and drink for 9 on a budget

Thanks lupaling. La Piazzetta has been added to my list!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Areas to eat and drink for 9 on a budget

You can do what you are seeking but you will likely just have one course and possibly an inexpensive salad and a bit of wine.

For example, my last meal at Navona Notte for one pizza, 1/2 litre white wine, espresso, small bottle of water was 12,50 euros. Under your budget. I could have added a dessert or possibly a small salad to it. The pasta dishes are a bit higher - so, you won't get all the courses you might want, but you will probably be fine.

They charge for bread - per person - so if you don't want to pay about 3 euros (depending on restaurant) per person for bread, wave it away when it is brought to the table. For 9 people, you could wind up paying 27 euros just for the bread.

Sodas are expensive; wine is not. You would not be able to sit 9 people at one table outside at Navona Notte, the street is too narrow. There are some places you will be able to that many people around tables together outside, but that is not one of them.

That will be a problem for you when you go off the main squares as the streets are narrow and places won't be able to set up for that many people outside to sit together; some will, but many will not.

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
112 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Areas to eat and drink for 9 on a budget

Thanks again MomCat in NYC. Great info, we'll check it out one night for sure.

In terms of areas, does anyone know if we could travel a little outside the main areas, perhaps to one of the hills, and find some inexpensive bars and restaurants? We'll be sightseeing in the day but don't mind a trip on the metro or a walk to find a nice place to spend the evening for example.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,019 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Areas to eat and drink for 9 on a budget

You can easily attain your budget if you don't eat the fish/meat course. Don't drink soda either; foreigners are the principal soda drinkers and the prices are high. Normally at lunch we don't eat the meat/fish course, or drink wine. Water is 2.5 euro for two people. At dinner my daughter and I usually share a meat/fish course, becaseu neither of us can eat a whole meat/fish course and still eat a pasta course and a dessert; we have sweet teeth.

At La Piazzetta I love all that antipasto , so I can get by on that with bread and the dessert. My daughter won't eat the stuff from the cold antipasto bar so her bill runs higher becaseu she'll eat pasta, lamb, and the dessert bar 12+12+5=29 euro).

If you eat in those restaruants in the piazza, you are paying for the view and a cheaper palce is probably aropudn the corner and down a block.