We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colosseum tickets

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
England
6 posts
Save Topic
Colosseum tickets

We are going to Rome for a day and a half in August with 2 teenage kids. We really want to see the Colosseum, Forum, Pantheon, Capitoline Hill, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps and Piazza Navona in the time we have

If we buy a Roma Pass I understand we can use a special entrance to skip the queues at the Colosseum but we are not likely to use Pass for other museums or travel, so would not be good value. Can we skip the queues in the same way and use the same special entrance if we buy a ticket just for the Colosseum and Forum on line - or will we end up having to queue?

If the adults have a Roma Pass or on line ticket do we also need to buy one for the children - I believe they have free entry so can they just come in with us on our ticket? Some websites seem to charge for complimentary tickets for children.

Can we avoid the queues if we get to the Colosseum as soon as it opens - ie is it best to go to the Colosseum first thing or later in day?

- any tips would be gratefully received. thanks

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,806 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Colosseum tickets

I don't think you need to buy the Roma Pass. The Coloseum, Forum and Palatine Hill are on a combined ticket, but the line is longest at the Coloseum. So, to save time, wait in the short line at the Forum. Once you have your tickets, you don't need to wait in line at the other locations.

Piazza Navona, Pantheon (please see this!), Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps are all free. Capitilone Hill is free, but the museum there is not.

I think if you only have a day and a half, you will probably be able to see the sites on your combined ticket, plus a couple of the free Roman sites. The next day you can see what you didn't get to day one. I am not too sure you will have time for the Capitilone museum. Although wonderful, it takes several hours.

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Colosseum tickets

bump up for someone to reply

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Colosseum tickets

oops ! Clashed with LauraRW .... sorry !

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Colosseum tickets

The official site to buy Colosseum tickets in advance is here:

www.ticketclic.it/database/B2c__/Order01.cfm…

The regular cost of the Colosseum ticket is 12 Euro/person but when you reserve online it costs 1.50 extra so a total of 13.50 Euro/person.

If your children are from the EU and are under 18 years-old then they would normally enter free but with the advance reservation they will pay 1.50 Euro each.

Hope this helps!

Presto Tours

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Colosseum tickets

ps Liz, if you are from the E.U. just make sure to bring your children's IDs when you visit the Colosseum as these are necessary to prove their nationality and to receive the discount. : )

England
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Colosseum tickets

thank you, we will get the tickets on line I think it will be worth paying the booking fee, just in case there is a queue at the Forum. Thanks for the web address.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,806 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Colosseum tickets

Liz,

When we went in the "high season" around Easter, we waited less than 20 minutes in line at the Forum.

England
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Colosseum tickets

Thanks Laura, doesnt sound too bad after all.

9. Re: Colosseum tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2010, 06:17