We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather advice for August!!!

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Weather advice for August!!!

Hi i was wondering if anyone could offer advice concerning how the weather is in Rome in August.

I have read in many travel guides that it gets so hot that all the locals leave! I was wondering how realistically this affects shops/main attractions being open and exactly how hot is hot, what temperature can i expect?

Unfortunately due to work commitments this will be the only month myself and my boyfriend can go, so any advice will be greatly appreciated!

many many thanks in advance :)

Hot Sulphur...
Level Contributor
880 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather advice for August!!!

Yes - Rome will be hot. No, everything does not close! A lot of Italians will go on Holiday to various beaches in August, but the city won't close down.

London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather advice for August!!!

thanks for the advice!

California
Level Contributor
613 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather advice for August!!!

Less people sounds great! Weather is weather, you can't do anything about it other than plan to do things that get you inside during the heat of the day. For example go to the Forum early in the morning, visit churches in the afternoon. Drink wine early and often!!!

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,064 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather advice for August!!!

Another piece of advice, airconditioning in your hotel is a must in August

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,155 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather advice for August!!!

I've never been there in August, but a friend of mine has been there several times during that month. She says it has been so hot several times that they go out for an hour or two and then "DIVE" back into their room. When all the streets and stone buildings get hot and the sun is still shining she says it's like a stone-lined oven.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather advice for August!!!

Hot, yes - unmanagably so, no.

We've made three August visits to Rome, and enjoyed each of them. On the first, from London, we spent about half our days on trips out of the city - and went to see Hadrian's Villa at Tivoli, Lake Bracciano, and Trajan's port at Fiumicino.

This last time we didn't go very far at all, and instead just relished the peace and quiet....

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/romeaug08

More pictures here... http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/lazio

The Rome Comune usually puts on a lot of funs events for those who aren't able to get away - see....

http://www.estateromana.comune.roma.it/

For more details of that, and other "what's on" information, there's a handy bilingual magazine given away in some of the hotels - "Un Ospite a Roma - A guest in Rome".

The same people also run a website from where you can download a copy of the magazine in PDF format - start here, and click on the picture of its cover:

http://www.unospitearoma.it

And if you can stretch the budget just a little, many of the nicer hotels have some huge bargains that month and, after tramping those pavements - no matter how slowly - you'll quite probably welcome a bit of refinement and a good A/C system!

Peter

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather advice for August!!!

For some more specific climate information, try here...

www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/maps/city…

If that doesn't work, this should...

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2woz3v6

Peter

London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather advice for August!!!

hit the nail on the head! i think i'll work around the weather now i have a realistic view of how it'll be, i think less people will be a plus too !

Thank you so much everyone for all the advice :)

Edited: 18 June 2010, 13:49
Perth
Level Contributor
279 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather advice for August!!!

Exactly how hot does the weather get in August? Here in Australia we have temperatures of 30-40 degrees celcius in summer, so surely it cant be hotter than this?

rome
Level Contributor
2,122 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather advice for August!!!

The first 3 weeks of July we had 39C - but there are 2 things that make it worse: in Rome, everything is stone (streets, buildings) and they almost act as radiators and emanate heat which makes it attack you from every side and also unbearably hot at night as well (32 at night!). Secondly, the humidity makes the temperature be experienced as even worse, the "felt temperature" (don't have a better translation, please correct me) made 45°C out of a 36 because the hum. was 84%.

That said, my experience in the last years is that August is a bit better than July.