We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do I search for top things to do w/o all tour listings?

California
Level Contributor
90 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
How do I search for top things to do w/o all tour listings?

I'm sorry but this is really frustrating. I'm trying to plan a large month long trip through Europe with a few days in Rome. I just clicked things to do in Rome hoping to see the top attractions/sites so I can just write the down and move to next city. All that comes up is almost 430 tours. A tour is NOT an attraction- it's what you use to see the attraction. If I picked the top 10 Rome things to do, I would take ten tours with no idea what to see. If I select just the tabs above, I still get tours. Can someone tell me how to see a listing of what to see and tell Tripadvisor that tour should be under their own tab. "Anthony's Italian Tour's" is not the 9th most popular thing to do in Rome over the Colosseum which I found at #42. Help Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,152 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How do I search for top things to do w/o all tour listings?

I suggest you buy the little guide book from DK called "Top Ten Rome". It will give you this information much faster than trying to search for it on the web.

United States
Level Contributor
9,651 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How do I search for top things to do w/o all tour listings?

This is not a complete list of things and what you would want to see may not match exactly but here is a link to the Rome tourism site and a sample guide to plan a 4 day trip.

…turismoroma.it/scoprire_roma/roma_in_quattr…

Rick Steves also has sample itineraries and downloadable walking tours. ricksteves.com/plan/…rome3.htm

TAB

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,205 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How do I search for top things to do w/o all tour listings?

Unfortunately, the "things to do" section has been overrun by tour "adds". I agree they are not "things to do" and should have their own section, like "tours in Rome" and such but that's the system. If people started reporting them and telling TA how much they don't like it, it might get changed and the things to do might actually become a "things to do" section not a "take my tour" section.

If you go through the things to do you will find some suggestions but the best thing to do is to get a guidebook or ask on the forums for opinions. Make sure to say what interests you, your time frame and budget. You might also want to list where you're staying so people can give suggestions based on your likes and dislikes.

Since I don't know anything about you I will give you the basic list.

Colosseum, forum and palatine hill (combo ticket- 2 days to see all three on same ticket)

Spanish steps,

trevi fountain

pantheon

piazza navona

Borghese gallery

castel sant angelo

Baths of Caracalla

Vatican museums

St Peter's Basilica

Circus Maximus

St Peter in chains church

Santa Maria Maggiore church

San Clemente

Santa Maria Sopra Minerva church.

The list goes on and on. There are wonderful museums in Rome so you should read up on some of them to see what they offer. Aside from the Vatican museums I like the capitolini museums.

So much to see and do. Report what you think is inappropriate and hopefully we can get things changed. But in the mean time, just keep asking questions, get a good guidebook or two and start making lists.

Donna

rome
Level Contributor
2,179 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How do I search for top things to do w/o all tour listings?

I also think the tours etc and the real attractions like monuments and museums should be separate (but can only be done by TA), but I actually think it is appropriate to name the category with the tours etc "things to do". Just like hotels and restaurants, it is great to have a category where such things can be reviewed

Edited: 20 June 2010, 14:00
Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,134 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How do I search for top things to do w/o all tour listings?

Heres a pretty good website

http://www.rome.info/sights/

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
321 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How do I search for top things to do w/o all tour listings?

I totally agree. I too get frustrated when I click on things to do and the first 3 pages are tour companies. Things to do should be monuments, historical sites, etc. I like this website and it has been a great help in planning my trips but, hey TA, a tour company is not "things to do." Give tour companies their own category like hotels. My 2 euros.

PS - We're leaving in 4 hours for Rome, Paris, Munich!

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,205 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How do I search for top things to do w/o all tour listings?

OMG! nodoughnut have a great time. Let us know when you get back. We'd love to hear about your trip.

Donna

8. Re: How do I search for top things to do w/o all tour listings?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2010, 07:16