We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shipping clothing back to US

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,121 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Shipping clothing back to US

My husband has a biz trip to Europe. After the biz portion, I am meeting him in Italy for a 2 wk vacation. We would like to ship his suits and dress shoes back to the US instead of dragging them around Italy for the next 2 wks.

Any ideas on the most cost effective way to do this?

United States
Level Contributor
9,565 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shipping clothing back to US

I responded to your other post in the Venice forum with my recent experiences.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187870-i57-k37166…

TAB

Hot Sulphur...
Level Contributor
880 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shipping clothing back to US

While slow, the Post Office works fine. Some even have large boxes. Or you could duct tape up a hard sided suitcase and just mail it home. I'd probably send it to a family member or friend so it doesn't sit outside your home waiting for you! They can hang up the suits right away.

Also, I've heard there is now Mailboxes Etc. in Italy. I've never seen one, only seen it mentioned on another site.

Safe travels!

Boston...
Level Contributor
296 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shipping clothing back to US

I googled mailboxes etc rome and there are at least 3 in central Rome. We did the same thing, although from Florence. It cost us about $100 to mail back a LOT of stuff, although it was mostly clothes so not terribly heavy. It arrived 7 days after we shipped it. Our plan was that with the weight/space gained we could bring back the wine we bought. We considered it money well spent and would give 2 thumbs up to your idea!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,121 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shipping clothing back to US

We always have someone stay at our house when we are on vacation. So not worried about packages sitting there while we are gone. But others posted that it can take up to 2 months to get your stuff. So, we'll probably be stuck dragging his stuff around while we are on vacation.

I'm also checking into FedEx. We get discounts at work and I'm hoping I can prepay for a label and bring it w/ me to Italy.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,104 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shipping clothing back to US

If you will be returning to a city in one place, like back to Venice or Rome, consider leaving it at a checked luggage place at a station, pick it up again just before you go home.

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shipping clothing back to US

I use Mail Box etc all the time....you must list all the contents you are sending and also what the material ..example..100% cotton shrts..92% wool suts..100 % leather shoes..

Also be sure to say the items are USED..or customs might charge you.

Go to Mail Box and get all the instructions before you arrive in Italy...

United States
Level Contributor
9,565 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shipping clothing back to US

A left luggage facility at a train station will cost around 10 euros/day. For the cost of 14 days you could easily use Mailboxes, Etc express service and the items will be home before you. I shipped 4.5 kg for 70 euros and it only took 7 days to arrive at my house.

TAB

Hot Sulphur...
Level Contributor
880 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shipping clothing back to US

We've never had it take two months for mail to arrive! But if there is Mailboxes Etc, I'd use that option, just for the convience of them doing the packing and shipping.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
30,740 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shipping clothing back to US

I used to ship things to a friend all the time and it never took 2 months. You can call mailboxes and speak to someone to get more accurate info before you leave. They should be able to give you the options for shipping and the costs or at least point you to someone who can give you this info. If your husband is staying at a hotel with a concierge he may want to have them ship his clothes. He can make all the arrangements before he joins up with you and just have the concierge make sure it gets sent.

donna

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shipping clothing back to US

The best thing to do is to go to the Mail Box etc in the USA. discuss with the clerk what you want to do..how many items you will be sending...and find out about the security requirements.

It is better to do this where you can speak the langauge and read the instructions!

discuss insurance and length of time they est it will take for your package to arrive....

Then when you are in italy it will be much easier for you...or follow Donna's suggestion and have the hotel help you send these things home.

Tell your husband to pack light for business...a dark suit and a few clean shirts should do the trick. Ties are almost a thing of the past in Italy...

Hope we have been of help.