We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sicily in January?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cairns
2 posts
Save Topic
Sicily in January?

Hi, we are thinking of spending 10 days or so in Sicily this January. Are we mad? What's the weather like? We live in a tropical climate, so are looking forward to a change of weather, but perhaps it is too cold and wet to get out and about at that time of year? Any advice would be welcome. LynCairns

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,255 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sicily in January?

Here are the seasonal temp of Palermo

wunderground.com/NORMS/DisplayIntlNORMS.asp…

Average high is 59 deg F, average low is 50 deg F.

We were in Sicily for 14 days in Feb 2010. For us being from a cold climate it was very pleasant and like spring.

It did snow up on the mountains one day that were were then and rained sleet. But the rest of the days were pleasant. It's very green even in Feb

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

Wildflowers were blooming

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
79 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sicily in January?

(If I remember right) it can get quite cold in January. Not ice-and-snow cold but damp-and-windy cold. You'll want a coat and scarf. But if you're not up in the mountainy areas in central Sicily, and stick to the cities, you'll find that everyone is still "out and about".

Also, if you're going towards the beginning of the month, it seemed to me that Christmastime didn't end until after the Epiphany on Jan 6th--so things could still be quite festive. And, I remember roasted chestnut vendors on almost every corner all winter long.

I'm not sure what you were planning on in terms of activities. Obviously, the beaches will be empty--but still make for lovely vistas of the sea. Churches and archeolgical sites will still be open. There will still be plenty food, gelato, wine and limoncello. January might not be what most people think of when they picture sunny Sicily, but the Sicilians will know how to keep you warm!

Amber

Montreal (Québec)
Level Contributor
855 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sicily in January?

You might have more replies in a Sicily forum, this is the Rome forum. Good luck!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,950 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sicily in January?

Welcome to Sicily LynCairns!

Here’s the link for the Sicily forums:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g187886-i343-Sicil…

Sicily is cool and rainy in winter. January is low season, but it depends on what you'd like to see and do - Cities would be best to visit in January. Many attractions are on reduced schedules, and it would be best to avoid beach destinations, but you could ski Etna! The higher elevations could have snow. Outdoor venues close with darkness.

Palermo in January:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187890-i418-k3666…

Sicily in January:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k3231…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k2837…

Here are average temperatures - Hover over the icons to retrieve values.

weather2travel.com/whentotravel/…

It’s not too cold to get out and about – Areas around the coast can get warm on sunny days, but always cool down at night.

January is actually a good time to enjoy ‘local’ Sicily.

Best Wishes!

Vagabonda

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,255 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sicily in January?

Here's what people were wearing in feb. You can judge how cold that is

6. Re: Sicily in January?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 December 2010, 07:16