We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for Hotel w/pool, parking, breakfast that's not $$$$

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
90 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for Hotel w/pool, parking, breakfast that's not $$$$

I'm having a darn time weeding through 1250 Rome hotels trying to find a nice 4 or 5 star hotel that has a pool, parking, and breakfast included. Well at least the pool included. The Waldorf Astoria wants to charge 16 Euros per day per person just to use the regular hotel pool. How about reasonable parking- Another place wants 35 euros to park. I hate being nickel and dime'd. Just TELL ME THE PRICE UP FRONT. Anyone have any thoughts. I need three nights July 29. Oh also within a 30 walk into Rome. Thanks

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for Hotel w/pool, parking, breakfast that's not $$$$

What is a 30 walk into Rome?

Don't you want to stay in Rome?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,081 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for Hotel w/pool, parking, breakfast that's not $$$$

There really aren't all that many hotels in Rome with a pool; parking is always expensive and since you won't be able to drive the car into the center of Rome (requires special permit which you won't get), why have a car?

The hotel star system in Italy doesn't mean the same as it does elsewhere - the number of stars signifies type/number of amenities. There are some 3 star hotels that are nicer than 4 star hotels.

Try Venere.com for hotels.

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for Hotel w/pool, parking, breakfast that's not $$$$

Cavalieri Hilton has a pool and is outside the down town area. You need to use a shuttle vus to cme into the city. In fact it has 2 pools and tennis courts.

The Jolly Hotel Villa Carpegna also has a swimming pool and it too is out side the city.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,247 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for Hotel w/pool, parking, breakfast that's not $$$$

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k37013…

look like the Cavalieri Hilton chages 16 euro for ths use of a lounge chair by the pool, and possilby 30 euro for the buffet breakfast

Edited: 30 June 2010, 21:00
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,081 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for Hotel w/pool, parking, breakfast that's not $$$$

It seems that the OP already ruled out the Cavalieri in part because of the 16 euro lounge chair charge and high price for parking.

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for Hotel w/pool, parking, breakfast that's not $$$$

This might suit. Not sure about the parking, though. It's very central, not far from Termini.

http://www.radissonblu.com/eshotel-rome

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,886 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for Hotel w/pool, parking, breakfast that's not $$$$

>>I hate being nickel and dime'd. Just TELL ME THE PRICE UP FRONT.<<

You have the wrong cultural expectations. Hotels in major cities in Europe will not include parking in their room rates, because very few guests will be silly enough to drive to a major city. Parking is an extra.

Often the room rate covers just the room, with anything else being charged as an extra. This keeps the price down for the many travellers who want only the use of a room.

You just have to accept that other countries may not do things the way you expect.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,809 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for Hotel w/pool, parking, breakfast that's not $$$$

You're not being nickle and dimed to death, you are being charged for services other than the room. Nick is right that you are looking at it through the wrong cultural eyes. Italy is not California. If they charge for a lounge chair, to use the pool, for breakfast or to park it is because these things are considered extras. Not everyone uses the pool, the lounge chairs, eats the breakfast or parks at hotels. If you want the price to include all of them, contact the hotel and have them book you one of the specials they run or book an all inclusive. But this would leave out your last requirement, that it not cost a lot of money. Sorry, but that's what you'll find in Rome. As for the stars, it, too, is not like the States. A star level refers to the amenities a hotel has to offer, not the quality of the hotel. If you want a 5 star hotel, with lots of amenities it's going to cost you a ton of money.

Are you really going to swim everyday? Why do you need a car if it's just going to stay at the hotel? Do you really need to eat breakfast at the hotel? You can easily find great food in town. Maybe you should rethink your needs a little. It'll make it easier to find a hotel that you'll like.

Donna

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,173 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for Hotel w/pool, parking, breakfast that's not $$$$

I don't know where you live in California but hotels in major cities like San Francisco and San Diego ALL charge for parking!

There is no need for a car in Rome in the same way that a car in San Francisco or New York City is also UNnecessary.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,247 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for Hotel w/pool, parking, breakfast that's not $$$$

"It seems that the OP already ruled out the Cavalieri in part because of the 16 euro lounge chair charge and high price for parking" I did not realize that the Cavelieri Hilton and the Waldorf-Astoria were the same hotel.

I am not sure why the OP has a rental car? Is there some part of the iternarary that require a car? If you are going back to Rome to leave fron FCO in a couple of days, maybe you can turn in the rental car on arrival in Rome, so that you don't have to apy to store it?

dbabe is right about if you want all the hotel amenities in a big city like Rome it is going to cost you a ton of money. it's not like staying in the Best Western in South Dakota. The same would be true in Boston, Chicago and Manhattan.