We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice, Greenery on the Appian way?

Ipswich
Level Contributor
54 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Nice, Greenery on the Appian way?

Hi all,

I'd like some advice on the Appian way please. We want to visit the catacombes of Domitilla and San Callisto with a nice walk thrown in.

I have looked alot at the Parc info and it all looks green and nice. Then confused myself with looking at previous posts of traffic and mayhem!

If I go for the Archeobus I can get off at the catacombes and then on again for the baths or maysoleum of cecilia, but I also want somewher to wander about in the open.

Maybe take a picnic or stop off and chill out away from the bustle of the city centre.

I may be packing to much into a day to do this but I may need the chill out time so would like to know where to go before I get there.

Many thanks

Karen

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice, Greenery on the Appian way?

'greenery' probably depends on time of year ! Unlikely to be 'green' in August - dry and hot !!!

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,097 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice, Greenery on the Appian way?

Here is a map of made for my last trip to the Appian way in Feb 2008. All of my trips were in Feb or March

maps.google.com/maps/ms…

Zoom in for more details.

I haven't taken the Archeobus myself since 2005. I tried to buy an Archeobus ticket in 2006 but they were sold out at 10 am. Since then I have used the city bus 118 when I was not walking on the Appian way. Onxce I look the Metro to the Colli-Albani Metro stop and then the 660 bus down to the Appian Way near the Tomb of Cecilai Metella

bus route for 118 www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

The area of the Appian way next ot the road between Porta Sebastiano and the Mausoleum of Cecidla Metella has very little shoulder to it.

Here is wher you catch bus 118 ti back to Piramide/central Rome at the Catacombs of St Callistus

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

view down the road near th Tomb of Cecilia Metella

On Sunday most traffic is forbidden on the Appian Way, but local traffic and buses 118 and 218 still run.

Here is a detail map of the area around the St Callistus catacombs. You can see where te Domitilla Catacombs are on that map relative to the St Callistus ones. The Domitilla catacombs are really impressive with thier frescoes and underground Basilica of SS Achilleus and Nereus

I am not sure where exactly you can picnic along the way. Maybe on one of the offshoot roads deeper inton the park. I eat at the restaurants along the road. This the area north of the St Callistus catacombs by where the Via Ardeatina branches off

We didn't see anyone picnicing in the Sheep pasture jsut north of the St Callistus catacombs

The area north fo the Tomb of Cecilia Metella is the area of the Stadium of Maxentius. You have to pay to enter that area. It was covered by the Roma Pass

what this area looks like

Edited: 01 July 2010, 14:51
Ipswich
Level Contributor
54 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice, Greenery on the Appian way?

Thank you very much,

So if I want greenery and space maybe Stadium of Maxentius is the place to go?

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,097 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice, Greenery on the Appian way?

I am not sure how green that place will be in July. There is space. We wandered around looking at the ruins of the palace and the race track. the entrance is off the Appian way.

Ipswich
Level Contributor
54 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice, Greenery on the Appian way?

That's fab thanks,

Is is worth taking the trip to the aquaducts?

I read from what you said in an earlier post that we can take the bus/metro there. I want to do both Catacombes the circus of Maxentius and the Mausoleum of Cecilia Metella in one day and although I'd love to see the aquaducts, they are last on my priority list for the area.

Am I hoping to turn into superwoman to fit it all in? :)

Also is everything open on Sundays as I know it's local holiday season and wonder if it's the best day to go as although it's busy the road is shut.

Thanks again.

Karen.

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice, Greenery on the Appian way?

I did the Archeobus in March and it was pretty green then, there are places to picnic along the route sitting on a little mound or wall, there was a loveley area with a Roman bath complex just passed the tomb of Cecilla, had plenty of benches, would be lovely ( if you are allowed to picnic there that is) The Archeobus does not go to the Aquaducts though.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,097 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice, Greenery on the Appian way?

Zoom out on the Appian Way google map and see the aqueducts as the blue wavy water marker on the lower right.

Bus 660 on Via Cecilia Metella will take you to Metro A(orange line) on map at the Colli-Alabani stop.

Travel in the directions of Anagnina (6 stops down) and get off at Subaugusta

follow directions at this link

www.slowtrav.com/italy/rome/dm_aqueducts.htm

You could take bus 118 in the morning to the St Callistus catacombs, then see the Domitilla ones (both are opne on Sunday). Walk down to the Stadium of Maxentius and the Tomb of Cecilia Metalla. Catch the bus and Metro to the Aqueducts. picnic out the and chcke them out. Take the Metro back to Termini (or somewehre else on Metro A/ Spanish Step?, Barberini? Vatican/Ottaviano stop).

Many people have mentioend picnicing at the aqueducts.

Wehn you are done, tyiou can Metro B all the way back to Termini (direction Battistini)

This iternaray does not include the Baths of Caracalla

Whcih is also along bus rout 118. The baths are enormous. it took us a half a day to see them. If you don't go to the Aqueducts, you could take bus 118 fom the Piramide or Circomaximo Metro stops, or 160 from Piazza Venezia to the baths of caracalla first.

You would have to go early or limit your time there. The catacombs are closed during the siesta either 12-2 or 1-3. The Baths of Caracalla at least used to be open on Mon mornings, the day that most of the Rome museums are closed.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,097 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nice, Greenery on the Appian way?

"Wehn you are done, tyiou can Metro B all the way back to Termini (direction Battistini)"

Should read Metro A (not B)

St Callistus catacombs are clsed 12-2:30

www.parcoappiaantica.it/en/testi.asp…

Domitilla catacombs are clsed 12-2

domitilla.soverdi.eu/idx.htm…

Edited: 01 July 2010, 19:24
UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nice, Greenery on the Appian way?

when you get back from your trip .... bobandsheila.... do let us know if you were able to have your picnic and how green it was ! Of course, you may be lucky this year, as I believe there was more rain than usual.....

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nice, Greenery on the Appian way?

As anyone who's been to Lazio in August will tell you, summer passes without scorching away all the vegetation.

By planning sensibly, we had no difficulty taking the Archeobus - and were fortunate enough to have done so in the days when its route ran all the way to the aqueduct park, which is most definitely worth a visit!

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/viaappia

You've probably already found the Park's own website....

http://www.parcoappiaantica.it/en/default.asp

If not, their suggestions for getting to the various different starting points are here:

And if you don't want to go directly to the aqueducts, then you might consider hiring bikes to extend your range?

Sure you'll enjoy it, whichever section you choose!

Peter