We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parioli: Too far from city center for first-time visitors?

Toronto
Level Contributor
19 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Parioli: Too far from city center for first-time visitors?

We are looking at staying at the Hotel Lord Byron in Parioli for four nights in August. This would be our first visit to Rome, and I was wondering whether the area is too far from the city's key attractions. I picked it partially because the area is supposed to be quieter and less "touristy", but I don't really know whether it is worth it. Is Parioli still considered "central", and if not, should I be looking closer to the Via Veneto? Any thoughts on the Hotel Lord Byron itself?

Any insights or suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,160 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parioli: Too far from city center for first-time visitors?

It's a classic hotel in a lovely area. If you intend on returning to your hotel throughout the day to rest or regroup, it's not ideal, but if you plan on going out and staying out, I think it's a good choice. You can cab to any sights/sites pretty easily, so don't worry about that.

2. Re: Parioli: Too far from city center for first-time visitors?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 November 2014, 00:41
Toronto
Level Contributor
19 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parioli: Too far from city center for first-time visitors?

Thanks so much to both Rome_With_Kids and EricRome for your very valuable insight. You have helped make the choice much clearer, and Parioli seems like a lovely area. The Lord Byron it is!

Any other traveling tips and/or suggestions for Rome?

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,097 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parioli: Too far from city center for first-time visitors?

I myself don't stay in Centro Storico when I go to Rome, but the parioli is way out in the sticks, way out past Villa Borghese. The red balloon with a black dot is Hotel Byronn according to Google

maps.google.com/maps/ms…

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,097 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parioli: Too far from city center for first-time visitors?

I myseff have taken Tram 3 from Villa Guilia near the Villa Borghese park to the Colosseum near where my lodging was. The route is anything but direct

see map

world.nycsubway.org/perl/mapshow…

Tram 3 skirts all of central Rome and goes way out east then then south to Porta Maggiore before it finally turns west and goes to the Colosseum, to get to the Colosseum, so that it takes a while.

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
12,443 posts
643 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parioli: Too far from city center for first-time visitors?

Parioli is not the "core" of Rome, but it is absolutely nor off-centre. Many areas are much worse from this point of view. You are at walking distance to the park Villa Borghese and its museums (Borghese Gallery, and the less known but not less interesting etruscan museum Villa Giulia and Galleria Nazionale d'Arte Moderna). Walking down Via Giuseppe Mangili you find in the Via Ulisse Aldrovandi the stop of the tram 19 and of the bus 3 (once it was a tram but the line is being served by buses for years). By the 19 you can go to the Vatican area, by the 3 (in the other direction) to the Colosseum and Forum area.

What is more, Parioli is a very beautiful quarter, quiet and safe. It is traditionally lived by well off classes, and your hotel looks fine. I think it is really worth.

Toronto
Level Contributor
19 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parioli: Too far from city center for first-time visitors?

Thanks everyone! It's great to know that the city's main sites are accessible by public transportation from the hotel. Does anyone know whether the Lord Byron offers a complimentary shuttle into the city? I googled it, and found some suggestion of it, but the hotel's website only specifies a car service that can be booked through the concierge.

Any info would be helpful.

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
698 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parioli: Too far from city center for first-time visitors?

My information is not recent, but when i was considering staying at the Lord Byron last year, during the month of august, I was told by the hotel itself that the shuttle service, provided for free, isn't running during august. I don't know if this applies this year as well, so the best is to contact the property directly to find out about it.

Toronto
Level Contributor
19 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Parioli: Too far from city center for first-time visitors?

Thanks again! I will check with the hotel about the shuttle.

Sydney mum
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Parioli: Too far from city center for first-time visitors?

I am also thinking of staying out of the hustle bustle of the centre of the city. Has any stayed at the Hotel Selva Candida with kids and travelled to the city?

Thanks to Rome with Kids. I have noted your Rome for a day itinereay. Sounds perfect.

Anybody know why I dont seem to be able to book rooms for next July now. Do I need to wait till later in the year??

Also, whats the best airline. ( cheapest way ) to fly from Paris to Rome?

Easyjet, Ryanair, any others. And can I book 11 months ahead or should I wait.

Thanks very much