We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
north georgia...
Level Contributor
162 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Rome Train Station

My friend and I are planning to meet at the Train Station in Rome. She will arrive in Rome from U.S. by plane. What is best way to get to train station from the airport? I assume there is only one train station.

I will come by train from Bari. Can you suggest a good recognizable meeting spot (preferably with seating, in case one of us has to wait for a while). Thanks so much.

Johnston, Iowa
Level Contributor
253 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome Train Station

My advice would be to take the Leonardo Express from FCO to Termini. Very easy and affordable. Just follow the signs at the airport.

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome Train Station

There is more than one train station station in Rome, but fortunately the train from Bari arrives at the main station, Termini (according to the Trenitalia website).

Your friend just needs to catch the Leonardo Express train from the airport. Trains leave every half hour and the trip takes 20 minutes. Tickets are around 13 euros, and she needs to validate her ticket by inserting it in the little yellow box on the platform.

In Termini, just find the platform at which the airport train will arrive on and you can meet your friend there.

Good luck.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome Train Station

I would suggest meeting at the passenger waiting room in Termini station, beside track 1. There is comfortable seating there, and monitors so you can see the arrivals of the trains. You need a train ticket (used or unused) to enter, so don't throw away your train ticket.

north georgia...
Level Contributor
162 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome Train Station

That was a valuable suggestion! My friend should arrive before me. Her flight arrives in Rome and she will have to find her way to the train station. Is there a shuttle from the airport to the Train Station?

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome Train Station

If your friend is arriving at Fiumicino airport, there is an express train, the Leonardo Express, from the airport to Termini station. If she's arriving at Ciampino, there is a shuttle bus to Termini station.

north georgia...
Level Contributor
162 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome Train Station

Your specific info is right on target for me The flight does arrive at FCO, and knowing in advance that she can get on the express train to the Train Station is very helpful. I'm sure both of us will find the area near Track 1. A million thanks!

Does your expertise extend to the area of Orvieto and Bagneregio?

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome Train Station

It's rather a long walk from the track where the Leonardo Express arrives to the waiting room at track 1. I would say 10-15 minutes. Tell your friend to pack light.

Orvieto is a charming hill town, with a beautiful Italian Gothic duomo and a well-preserved medieval center. It makes a great day trip from Rome, but would also be worth an overnight stay.

I assume you mean Civita di Bagnoregio. That might have been a charming hill town once upon a time, when it was reached only by a little footpath. Now the little footpath is a modern pedestrian bridge, and the town (in my opinion) is just a tourist trap.

north georgia...
Level Contributor
162 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome Train Station

I see your warning about the distance between arrival from FCO and Track 1.

I will be arriving by train from Bari to the train station in Rome. Is that also a long distance from Track 1 ? And would both of us be back-tracking to catch a train to Orvieto? ? ?

Since we will leave as soon as possible for Orvieto, would there be a more convenient meeting place?

Actually, does having a place to sit and rest a bit during the wait still warrant a Meeting Point near Track 1 ? ? ?

Whew, I'm full-up on questions! Hope you're full-up on answers!

Watertown, MA
Level Contributor
2,714 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rome Train Station

bizarro

I just returned from staying in Orvieto for 6 nights. Like bvlenci said it's a beautiful town well worth a night or two.

I also went to Civita di Bagnoregio for the day. I went during the week and thought it was very charming and took lots of beautiful photographs. How are you planning to get to there?

In terms of meeting your friend, the waiting room is probably the best because you will be able to sit down. The only other places to sit down are the food places which are either downstairs or away from the tracks.

I played around with this site and I think your train from Bari will arrive at track #4 and the train heading for Orvieto is supposed to depart from #11 but there is a track change. Your best bet is to watch the departure boards.

good luck!

www.viaggiatreno.it/viaggiatreno/vt.html

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rome Train Station

You can't be sure where other trains will arrive or depart, but none will be as far away as the train from the airport, which arrives at a sort of tacked-on track past track 25. Half of the walk will just be to get to the head of track 25. I may be estimating on the pessimistic side when I say 10-15 minutes.