We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whizzer app for clean restrooms in Rome

CA
Level Contributor
58 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Whizzer app for clean restrooms in Rome

Has anyone used the Whizzer App for iPhone to locate clean restrooms while traveling in Rome or the rest of Italy? Wondering if it is worth using while we are there.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whizzer app for clean restrooms in Rome

Any restaurant will have clean restrooms, as will museums. Bars are a bit more iffy, because they are required by law to be available to the public, not just to clients of the bar. This gives the bar owner little incentive to keep the place spiffy.

All in all, I have less problem finding clean restrooms in Italy than in the US. I doubt that any app would have a really complete and up-to-date database of restrooms world-wide.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,839 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whizzer app for clean restrooms in Rome

make sure you bring your own toilet paper with you at all times. I often have been in situations where any restroom would do whihc I can cope with If I have toilet paper. I buy botttles of water at convenience stores and bars when they have signs up saying customers only, jsut to use the toilet.

seattle
Level Contributor
204 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whizzer app for clean restrooms in Rome

I brought my own tissues all the time and it just ended up taking up space in my bag. The TP was just fine and plentiful and the restrooms were at least as clean as in the US. If you really want clean, use the Termini station bathrooms. You have to pay a euro to get in, but they're really quite clean and comfortable.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,770 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whizzer app for clean restrooms in Rome

Simplify, simplify!

As others have said, if you need to use a bathroom, just go into a bar (they are all over) and buy a water or a coffee if needed. As for TP ----- I carried my own in 1964, but it's not really necessary now, as the Italians appear to care about "gentility" as much as other nationalities. It's always a good idea to carry tissues for emergencies, but I do that here at home too.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,839 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whizzer app for clean restrooms in Rome

Although the TP situation appeared worst in Paris than anywhere I have been in italy, I have found carrying TP very advantageous because of lack of it in toilet facilites in the bars and ruins (the toilets on the Roman Forum and the palatine come to mind).

Astoria, NY
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Whizzer app for clean restrooms in Rome

The surefire way to gain access to clean--even LUXURIOUS facilities--is to go into any really upscale hotel, march right up to the concierge's desk as though you're a guest and ask where are the toilettes. Unless you're dressed like a bum & haven't bathed in a week, they'll politely oblige. They're in the hospitality business, right?

Another option is that much-slandered and maligned, but eternal grail of clean restrooms--Mickey D's. Keep an eye peeled for the golden arches and you'll never again have to go into a bar like a dweeb to buy an unwanted drink or mineral water. (I learned the locations of every MD in Rome and Paris before I even knew how to buy transit tickets.)

7. Re: Whizzer app for clean restrooms in Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2011, 06:16