We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Pompeii- worth it and best way to get there

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
144 posts
144 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Pompeii- worth it and best way to get there

Heading to Rome in November. My husband is really hoping to take a day trip (all be it a LONG one) to Pompeii.

So far I see our options as:

1- go it alone with the trains

2-take an organized bus trip

3- hire a personal car/tour service such as Rudy's rome car trips.

Here are the advantages/disadvantages I see so far.

1- have to deal with the planning/coordination on our own but get to go at our own pace. Seems most economical

2- don't have to deal with hassle of planning/coordinating but simply go along for the ride. But have heard that some of the stops with the tour company are sales pushes that limit your time in Pompeii.

3- most expensive, still get to dictate pace and get the added bonus of seeing Sorento, Capri, etc.

Any/all feedback appreciated.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,146 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Pompeii- worth it and best way to get there

There's really not much to plan. All you need to do is look at the trenitalia site to see which train you want to take and be at the station half an hour before the train leaves to buy your tickets. You can also buy your tickets any time before that either by stopping into the termini station or going to any tour agency that displays the trenitalia logo. Once you get to Naples go downstairs to the circumvesuviana train and take it to the Pompeii scavi stop. It's very easy. You can buy your tickets on the commuter train as you walk down to it from any newsstand, tobacchi store or ticket machine. That train usually leaves from platform 4 but check to make sure. It will save you a ton of money to do it on your own and you'll get to do exactly what you want to do, not what someone else wants you to do. If you want a tour of the ruins there are plenty of guides at the ticket office on site.

Donna

Colorado
Level Contributor
787 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Pompeii- worth it and best way to get there

Save your money and do as dbabe says. It is very simple and you can be a lot more flexible that way. You can even take the train on to Sorrento if you wish (but that wouldn't leave much time for Pompeii). We loved Pompeii.... it's amazing.

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
10,807 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Pompeii- worth it and best way to get there

Been to Pompeii in the 60s, 80s, and a couple years back, it is alwas a great place to go. Have fun

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,090 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Pompeii- worth it and best way to get there

It is a long journey, and in my opinion it is not a good idea to waste so much of one of your days in Rome doing all this travelling.

If you want to see some genuine Roman ruins, go to the ancient port of Rome at Ostia Antica. It is just as interesting as Pompeii, and only 30 minutes from central Rome on a suburban train.

5. Re: Day trip to Pompeii- worth it and best way to get there

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 July 2010, 14:35
Hot Sulphur...
Level Contributor
880 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Pompeii- worth it and best way to get there

I don't think you can see Pompeii, Sorrento, and Capri as a day trip from Rome.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Pompeii- worth it and best way to get there

There's a recent thread may be of interest - one family's preparations for, and account of, a trip down from Rome to see the ruins of Pompeii, during which they also did a tour of Vesuvius - that they afterwards summarised like this.....

"Overall, it is a very tiring long journey. We think Mt. V is entirely skippable in favour of more time at Pompeii. The top of the crater is a bit of an anti-climax. It just gives you the feeling of just ticking another box so that you can say "been there, done that." Pompeii, on the other hand, is much more wonderful. Lots to see. Amazingly preserved. Leaves you speechless at what those people had achieved 2000 years ago, not just in terms of buildings but ideas, organization, politics, ..."

The rest can be seen here....

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k36595…

Of course Ostia is an easier option - but people rarely write of it in quite those terms.

Peter

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
144 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to Pompeii- worth it and best way to get there

Thanks so much everyone. It seems that booking the private tour/driver is cost effective if you are in a group of 4 but not so much if it is just the two of us.

We may have to nagivate it ourselves via train. Someone mentioned closer Ostria. Can you tell me a little about that stop as opposed to Pompeii?

Thanks

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,146 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip to Pompeii- worth it and best way to get there

Ostia Antica is the ancient port just outside of Rome. It takes about half an hour to get there. It really is a nice site and you can easily spend a day there. You would take the metro to the pyramide stop. there you change trains heading to Ostia Lido. Get off at the Ostia Scavi stop, cross the bridge and walk to the end of the street. Very easy to get there.

Donna

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip to Pompeii- worth it and best way to get there

I just want to mention also what someone says above: that seeing Pompeii, Sorrento, and Capri in a Day trip from Rome is not possible...unless I suppose you got there REALLY early and were ok with leaving late. Capri has limited timing due to the ferrys as well. Anyone else have any advice on this if you would be tackling it via train, and not car?