We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skip the Lines Tip

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
14 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Skip the Lines Tip

I was shocked to see how many people were standing in line to get into the Vatican Museum when I was these this past weekend. The line seemed to go on forever and it was 97 degrees out and very humid. Those poor people. If you plan on going to the Vatican, do no wait in the lines. Plan ahead and buy tickets online. For four extra euros you get a timed ticket and can walk right past the line.

If you cannot plan ahead (maybe you don't know when you can go), you will find MANY tour companies outisde of the Vatican who will get your past the line and give you a tour of the Vatican. I am not sure how good these tours are, but these were inexpensive and it's better than waiting for hours in the hot sun!

The same goes for the Coliseum. Outside the Coliseum we found several tour companies who formed tour groups on the spot and got you past the line. For ten extra euros we skipped the line and got an excellent 45 minute tour of the Coliseum and an hour tour of Palatine Hill and the forum. I know you can buy tickets at Palatine Hill to get into the Coliseum, but there was a long line when were there this weekend, so going with the tour was still the better choice. Plus, the tours were great!

Edited: 21 July 2010, 17:51
TopBike Rental & Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Equipment Hire, Bike Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
City Wonders
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Night Tours, Day Trips
Stefano's RomeCabs
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Italy Segway Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Night Tours, Segway Tours, Private Tours
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,151 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skip the Lines Tip

I have used my Roma Pass at the colosseum and not waited in then line either.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
647 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Skip the Lines Tip

Hi, can we book Colisseum and Forum ahead of time, and what is the

internet site. Do you have to specify the time ?

If I specify the time , and ends up being late out of my control ( traffic

etc), does it mean the ticket is wasted, and we will have to buy another

one. Also comment on Vatican museum too--- internet site and whether

you have to pay again if you miss the time that you book for.

Thanks

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
35,034 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skip the Lines Tip

You cannot book a time for the colosseum and forum but you can buy tickets online that allow you to bypass the line. The website is:

pierreci.it/en/…colosseo.aspx

For the vatican museums you can book a tour or pre-purchase tickets at;

…vatican.va/musei/tickets/do…

You pick an entry time for the museums. Your ticket allows you to bypass the line which can get very long. If you are late for your time slot you won't have to buy another ticket but the guards might and can make you wait in the normal line so make sure to be there on time.

Donna

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Skip the Lines Tip

An excellent way to avoid the lines at the Ancient sites is to start earlier and get your ticket at Palatine Hill! the line is always at the Colosseum, but there is usually little to none at the Palatine. It's the same ticket for all 3 sites too - Colosseum/Palatine/Forum.

The Roma Pass is also another very useful thing here in Rome, it generally really is worth the price (which isn't very expensive at all anyways!).

While you can book Ancient Sites tickets ahead online, it's not always worth the little extra reservation fee, which is why lots of tour agencies won;t always bother either.

Melbourne
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Skip the Lines Tip

We completely agree with Angelzoey2 - the lines on a hot day in Rome would be terrible!

We did the Ancient City and Vatican walking tours (3hrs each day) with EnjoyRome.com. They were both excellent. In particular the guides were clearly extremely knowledgable (one had a PhD in Archeology, not sure about the other guide). Not only did we avoid the lines for the most part, we had great insights into the city. Well worth the extra Euro.

6. Re: Skip the Lines Tip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2011, 06:31