We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ebook travel guide to rome

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
ebook travel guide to rome

Wondering how many of you would buy or prefer an e-book travel guide instead of a paper version. E-books are those on IPad, Kindle, etc.

The feedback is appreciated!

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
379 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ebook travel guide to rome

I'd rather have an actual book since you can write notes in it and flip pages faster. An e-book isn't a bad idea by any means but the little I've used one suggested to me that the search time was slower than thumbing through actual pages in a guidebook. I generally try to get a book just for the specific area I'm in. InsideOut had some great little guidebooks with built in compasses, pens, and water-proof maps; sadly, I can't find them for sale anymore but Knopf Mapguides has some for 10.95 a pop. I just bought one for Athens.

At any rate, good luck with whatever you decide to go with and just remember that even the hotel maps you get for free can be exceedingly helpful and convenient.

niagara
Level Contributor
444 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ebook travel guide to rome

For our trip to Northern Italy in Oct, I've already downloaded a few Venice apps. on to my Ipod- Lonely Planet's Venice guide and a restaurant guide. I like free app's or mostly free apps :)

I've toyed with the idea of buying an e-travel guide book but we have quite a few paperback guide books already. It would probably save weight in the luggage if I got an e-guide so I still might. Still new to this form of technology!

I enjoy reading regular books on my Ipod-never thought I would EVER feel that way-always defended the paper form but it's been pretty great so far-especially nice for books that are well over 500 pages that you just know weigh a ton! An Ipod is much lighter in the hand.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,551 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: ebook travel guide to rome

When I travel I take about 6 or more books with me and I've toyed with the idea of getting an E-Reader - I'm just waiting for the price to come down and for the technology to improve some - but, even if I had an E-reader, I would still take a hard copy of a travel guide. I also take my netbook with me on which I have researched and saved articles, etc about places I want to visit. But, for carrying around in a new place (or even an old one, I find a real book very satisfying.

Watertown, MA
Level Contributor
2,627 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ebook travel guide to rome

I used my Nook on my trip this past June/July. Lonely Planet offers individual chapters of regions/cities for little cost. It was handy but didn't have as detailed information as I would have liked.

I did take along another guide book(paperback)for Tuscany and Umbria.

I hoping more publishers will offer good travel guides in e-reader format.

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,504 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ebook travel guide to rome

At home I like the paper guide books because I find it easier to mark pages, and I just like to read regular books. For travel, it would be nice to have an ebook guide as I take my kindle anyway and then I could use it on the trip. Ideally, I guess I would like both.

I'm not sure how well you can search for things in an ebook guide book as I have not really used one. Usually I just read books where you start at the beginning and go to the end. There was a Kindle thread on the gadgets and gear forum a few months ago (actually it's been going on for a long time, but I think the last post was a few mos ago), and some posters recommended the Lonely Planet guides for the Kindle and said once you get used to using it it's very useful.

6. Re: ebook travel guide to rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 August 2010, 22:26
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,068 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ebook travel guide to rome

I hate to bare my ignorance...but does one need internet access when using an e-book in Italy? If so, what happens if you're standing on a corner in Rome and basically it doesn't work because there is no place to log on. Or your on the road between Lucca and Orvieto and...etc., etc., etc. I understand it is a bit difficult to find a wifi connection for your laptop...so I'm just wondering...

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,504 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ebook travel guide to rome

You don't need an internet connection with the Kindle once you have downloaded the books. They are just on the Kindle and you read them. To get new books it uses something called Whispernet which works when there is no internet connection but only in the US (on mine). I guess it's more like a cellphone connection. Mine doesn't work out of the US (the Whispernet part), but there is a new one that does. If you have a laptop you can download the book from the Amazon website to the laptop and then put it on the Kindle with a USB cable. That method works overseas.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ebook travel guide to rome

That is not a dumb question. E-books work both ways. You can buy one and keep it off-site, on the internet, so you can access it from any computer in the world, without the need for your own computer, or, you can buy the book and download it onto your reading device, like the apple ipad or kindle. In that case, you carry around one book-sized device and it holds virtual bookcases stacked with all the titles you own, so you always have all of your books with you, no need for internet.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,068 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ebook travel guide to rome

Grazie, 'btgm' & 'Rome_With_Kids' (is that your "paper" book?) I must admit the future is indeed here...and quite cool. But after TA, I still like the idea of actual guide books!