We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August travel

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,375 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
August travel

We have just requested a timeshare through Interval International for August of next year. We have been to Rome a few times so we've done all the sights, but wondered what the downside might be to traveling in August? We know stores and restaurants will be closed for their holiday, but is there any other reason we shouldn't go in August??

Best Seller
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
22,957 reviews
from US$76.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
528 reviews
from US$410.90*
Best Seller
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Tour...
2,816 reviews
from US$123.30*
Special Offer
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
11,602 reviews
from US$57.20*
US$63.50
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,280 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: August travel

Just the heat/humidity which will be very hot but if you are okay with that weather, you will be okay. I would just make sure that you have air conditioning because it can get into the 90s and with the humidity, it can be oppressive.

August is not high season and lots of Romans take off during the month for their holidays and close some of the businesses and restaurants while they are gone but not enough so you won't have options of places to eat, shop, etc.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,375 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: August travel

We knew about their holiday, and the heat is nothing compared to here where we have had 100 degree days and it feels like 110! We will only be in Rome a couple of days and then we are off to Tuscany.

Thank you for your reply, just wanted to make sure we were well informed.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
89,081 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: August travel

Even in August, most of the shops and restaurants will be open. We have been in Rome in August, and very few places are closed.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,375 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: August travel

We are actually staying in Soriano Nel Cimino, so I'm hoping restaurants stay open there as well! We're not worried about the heat, as we live outside Washington, DC and we have had 100+ degree days here. I guess I was more concerned about smaller cities being deserted during August.

Thanks for your inputs!

Hot Sulphur...
Level Contributor
880 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: August travel

We are always in Italy in late July , into August. Never felt like anything was deserted!!!! Some smaller restaurants may close - but for you will find everything you need!

rome
Level Contributor
2,212 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: August travel

I am not familiar with Soriano, but looking at the map, you are not in Rome. If shops and restaurants will be open in such a small town will depend on if it is a vacation destination - as I said, I don't know the place and am not aware of this. But you really need to repost your question stating it is Soriano where you are staying and not Rome!

Maryland
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: August travel

It's one thing to live in a place with high temps and humidity, and quite another to be on vacation there and want to be out, moving around, and doing things in the heat and humidity. But having lived in it, you probably already plan to do outdoor things in the morning and evening, and find air conditioned or otherwise cool indoor things to do during the heat of the day. Parts of Tuscany can be really bad in July and August, especially Florence, but again, with planning, you can have an enjoyable trip at that time of the year.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,375 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: August travel

wine_gal_rome,

I would post my question on the Soriano forum, but it's not a very active forum. I have asked questions on there before and never received any feedback.

9. Re: August travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2011, 05:17