We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easiest way to visit Tivoli

Vermont
Level Contributor
96 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Easiest way to visit Tivoli

I know this has been discussed on the forum before, but I find it somewhat confusing. Is there a way for someone who cannot walk for miles to visit Hadrian's Villa, Villa d'Este (as a day trip from Rome)? Does it make any sense to hire a driver, and if so, what might be the cost? We do not love going on tours, but is there a good one?

Thanks!

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Easiest way to visit Tivoli

Context Rome offers small-group or private tours to Hadrian's Villa and Villa d'Este:

contexttravel.com/city/…Tivoli

Other tour operators may as well, but I think most of them do only Villa d'Este.

It *is* possible to visit Hadrian's Villa and Villa d'Este by public transport without having to walk long distances, and I've given instructions in this thread on how to find the right buses:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k37983…

The Cotral Web site linked in the OP of that thread is not very user-friendly, but if you aren't prepared to look up the buses, then your only option is a tour or a private car with driver, which will likely cost 300 Euro or more.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easiest way to visit Tivoli

Viators will get you to both Hadrian's Villa and Villa D'Este in a half day for about $80 a person. That's a pretty good deal if you don't want to go it alone. It is not so confusing to take public trans, but you do have to be cautious when getting on the correct bus to tivoli (at Tiburtina station), and getting off at the right stop once you get there. Many tourists are confused and they get off the bus in groups -- often at the wrong stop -- which will cause you to doubt your own plan. I think the very easiest way to take public trans is to take the bus to tivoli-Villa D'Este, which is in the centro of the town. Its stop is an obvious, large central piazza lined with activity, shops, etc., and the villa entrance is a short block from the stop.

After touring Villa D'este, you can easily find a taxi and ask to go to Villa Adriana (hadrian's villa). There are buses that go there, but I'm giving you the least stressful option.

From Hadrian's villa you can find a cotral bus going to Roma.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easiest way to visit Tivoli

We hired a private driver to take us to Hadrian's Villa, Ristorante Antica Sibilla and then to Villa d'Este. Romecabs (who were great and I highly recommend) will charge you about 50 euros and hour for the trip and you can count on 6 to 8 hours. We had a splendid day and Romecabs took all the stress away from us by taking car of everything (they are not a guide service though) and we felt it was money well spent.

If you want to go via public transit, Ron in Rome's blog site has some good directions. roninrome.com/%20sites-and-attractions/tivol…

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,723 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easiest way to visit Tivoli

If one wants to see Hadrian's Villa 'properly' (It's a huge site.), then there's a lot of walking needed there alone.

Vermont
Level Contributor
96 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easiest way to visit Tivoli

Thank you all for the helpful replies. Sounds like the bus to Tivoli and then a taxi to Hadrian's Villa might be easily done. I understood that there is a lot of walking at both Villas so that is one of the reasons I wanted to save on walking in getting there. The taxi also sounds good but maybe more than we want to spend for just two of us.

Again, thank you all.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Easiest way to visit Tivoli

It was more than I wanted to spend also, but we didn't regret doing it. Next time I will get up more courage to use the public transit and a local cab or car service to take me around. Have fun.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,398 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Easiest way to visit Tivoli

There is an elevator inside the Villa d'Este but not in the gardens which require some walking down ramps and stairs. You don't need to go right to the bottom to get a good view however.

see some pictures in the blog

…blogspot.com/2009/09/into-rome-and-final-we…

If you co via Cotral bus best avoid the mid-day time as you get heaps of schoolkids going home for lunch (I presume)

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Easiest way to visit Tivoli

Here's pictures and info on using the Cotral bus system to get to Tivoli... you can get off earlier to go to Hadrian's Villa first, and then ride a cab up the hill to Villa D'Este and Tivoli (or vice versa). Good Luck!

http://tinyurl.com/tivoli-daytrip

Edited: 15 August 2010, 07:08
Brighton
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Easiest way to visit Tivoli

Hi

We're planning on visiting Villa D'Este in October. I see you all mentioned the bus - we were going to get a train from Rome to Tivoli. Is the bus much easier/closer to the site?

Thanks

10. Re: Easiest way to visit Tivoli

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2011, 06:16