We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Layover time at FCO for flight to Verona

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,736 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Layover time at FCO for flight to Verona

I've just firmed up my travel plans and am about to book a flight from FCO to Verona, but am not sure about how much time I need to leave for the layover.

My Continental flight from US is to arrive at 7:45 am, and I think I will be safe if I book a 9:30 flight out. This internal flight is a separate booking, so I know I will have to get my luggage, etc. Then also passport control and customs I assume. Is this correct?

I've been to Rome and FCO many times before, but have never done this sort of transfer, and want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything.

Thanks

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Layover time at FCO for flight to Verona

I hate to say it, but I wouldn't risk it. The baggage handling isn't well organized. Last time I waited an hour and a half, and that's assuming your flight arrives on time (delays are also frequent).

(Just to give you an idea, during the World Cup, part of the luggage was sent to a different conveyor belt than the one listed onscreen, and part still hadn't arrived after an hour. When an employee went to check on the problem, she discovered that all of the luggage was falling off the belt into a massive pile because the entire staff just left to watch the game. [I'm not kidding])

Getting through customs and to your next flight isn't the problem, but your luggage very likely could be. Of course you may find that everything goes perfectly, and you regret having changed your mind, but I, personally, wouldn't risk it.

tampa fl
Level Contributor
122 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Layover time at FCO for flight to Verona

I think your best option is to go by train-no security lines/baggage check etc.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,736 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Layover time at FCO for flight to Verona

Thanks to you both.

MIchael, I think I may very well book the later flight, for the reasons you mention. It's four hours later, but.... I probably couldn't check in to my accommodation until late afternoon anyway. And I'll have time to stock up on Euros.

As for taking the train ----- I'm doing that on the next leg of my trip, taking the train from Verona to Rome. But upon arrival, there's the hassle of getting from the airport to Termini, one of my least favorite places, and then the long train ride. I'd get in to Verona even later than with the later flight, and have to change trains somewhere as well. I like to arrange things to make my day of arrival as hassle free as possible.

Hot Sulphur...
Level Contributor
880 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Layover time at FCO for flight to Verona

I'd schedule the later flight... And I agree about staying as hassle free as possible.

Several years ago we flew into Rome and then on to Venice. We had about 3 hours between flights - and made it with no stress.

Best to arrive a bit later and with less stress to start the trip!!!

Safe Travels!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,736 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Layover time at FCO for flight to Verona

Thanks, all. I've booked the later flight, giving me about 5 1/2 hours between scheduled landing time and scheduled take-off time to Verona.

Only problem was the Alitalia website, which kept on bouncing me off at the final payment stage, saying time had elapsed. So I did it over the phone.

6. Re: Layover time at FCO for flight to Verona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2011, 08:22