We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question regarding bad mosquito bite reaction and doctors in

Hove Actually, UK
Level Contributor
34 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Question regarding bad mosquito bite reaction and doctors in

We are on honeymoon in Italy at the moment. My wife has bin bitten by mosquitoes. Her bites are reacting severlt and some have blistered and turned into angry little sores.

She has been taking anti histamine tablets and applying a topical steroid cream given to her by a pharmacist.

We are both EU nationals but my wife left her E111 card at home( I have mine)

We are working to a very tight budget already. I would like her to see a doctor and have these sores looked at. Will we be charged? What is the best way of doing things?

We have private healthcare in the UK and a good travel insurance policy but we have a problem if we need to pay a lot to a doctor now.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Question regarding bad mosquito bite reaction and doctors in

There are two medical clinics for tourists in Rome:

aslromaa.it/auslrma/index.php/component/cont…

According to one source, being seen by a doctor costs about 20 Euro at Nuovo Regina Margherita during the week but is free on weekends.

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question regarding bad mosquito bite reaction and doctors in

I think you'll find that no questions are asked about EUcard/insurance if you go directly to a Minor Injuries Unit (Pronto Soccorso) at a hospital - you'll be seen by a doctor, if necessary, although you may have a long wait in a queue, as other more serious injuries will be attended to before yours. I don't know if you have to pay for medication from this unit, or if you'll be given a prescription for something for which you'll have to pay up front at the pharmacy and claim back on your insurance. In view of the recently arrived 'tigre' mozzie, that can give all sorts of nasty maladies from Africa, I think it would be a good idea to see a doctor - some of us react more violently to mozzie bites, and you can get infections (from scratching)..... but don't panic.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question regarding bad mosquito bite reaction and doctors in

In the event that you did go through with the idea of buying the RomaPass, don't forget that this is shown on their website.....

http://www.romapass.it/p.aspx?l=en&tid=2

Roma Pass Travel Health MET

By calling the multilingual CALL CENTER, available 24 hours a day, it is possible to:

* Ask information about public and private medical facilities available throughout the city

* Receive information regarding location, address, telephone number and method of access to the Public Healthcare Facilities that are closest or most appropriate for the resolution of health related problems

* Activate, after explicit request, the medical assistance services (house-call visits, diagnostic services, specialty services, ambulance services), provided by Travel Health MET to Roma Pass holders at discounted fees

Peter

United States
Level Contributor
449 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question regarding bad mosquito bite reaction and doctors in

If you head to any hospital ER, for example, Fatebenefratelli on the island which sits in the Tiber between Trastevere and the Synagogue, you'll have to wait a while, but doctors there speak English and the service is free.

They might give you a prescription for medicine, which might cost a little.

Just head over there, walk up to the glass partition, tell them what you're suffering from and they'll help you out.

Mind you, I waited 5 hrs once for something minor.

You could always go directly into a pharmacy, show them your wife's bites and they'll help too.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,954 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question regarding bad mosquito bite reaction and doctors in

if the steriod cream she is using is the Cortisone cream, personally it has done nada for for the swelling on me or my daughter..

I hope that the antihistamine she is taking is Benadryl (Diphenylhydramine hydrochloride) because I take a lot of other antihistamines (not Benadryl) for airbourne allergies and the other anithistamines I normally take also do nada for the swelling. Both my daughter and I beneft from benadyl for mosquito bite swelling but it is not instant and takes days to bring the swelling down and it dow not eliminate it entirely. There is a Benedryl cream also but you can't take the tablets and use the cream at the same time. use a cream with an topical anesthetic in it to decrease itching. the cortisone alone in my case doesn't help with that either.

I am not sure that you want to waste money going to the doctor (if you have to apy) until you go home if you are really sure that they are mosquito bites. Anyway, I have gotten mosquitoe bites that have evolved in the fashion you are taking about herte they are hard red bumps with sometimes with a white little bump top near the mosquito injection site. Not every mosquito bite that I get evolves along this pathway.

Both my daughter and I have been to the doctor when one mosquito bite near our eye (on three different occasions) caused half of our face to swell to so bad that one eye swoll closed. We were told take Bendaryl (other antihistamines don't work as well on insect bites), apply cold compresses and patted on the back and told it would get better in a few days. after about a day the swelling around my eye went down enough to be able to see out of it.

I have had trouble buying this in italy but maybe didn't look in the right places. make sure your wife in the future uses a DEET spray or cream in the future to avoid mosquitoes. I bring my own on every trip (even in the winter) now.

Hove Actually, UK
Level Contributor
34 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question regarding bad mosquito bite reaction and doctors in

Thanks for all the help with this.

We went to the tourist medical guard in trastevere yesterday. We were seen inside 5 minutes. My wife had her bites cleaned and given a combined steroid/antibiotic cream. She has bandaged legs and feels like the mummy but these are now healing.

United States
Level Contributor
449 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question regarding bad mosquito bite reaction and doctors in

Great!!!! Glad to know she's doing better!!!

Ciao!

8. Re: Question regarding bad mosquito bite reaction and doctors in

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2011, 05:18