We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Don't bathe in the fountains!

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Topic
Don't bathe in the fountains!

The City of Rome's Web site has just posted that over 20 tourists were fined last week for cooling off in the city's monumental fountains: Trevi, Quattro Fiumi, Barcaccia, etc.

"I didn't know" and "It's so hot out" didn't cut any mustard with the police.

Mykonos, Greece
Level Contributor
555 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Don't bathe in the fountains!

If you look on YouTube, there are some really funny videos of stupid drunk boys in the Trevi, even climbing on the sculptures and jumping into the pool. You'll get a good laugh if nothing else.

Hot Sulphur...
Level Contributor
884 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Don't bathe in the fountains!

We were very surprised to see people IN the fountains in Piazza Navona with nobody tweeting their whistles at them!

Always before it is one of our favorite activities - watching people get whistled at and chased out of the fountains. We wondered why the Policia were looking the other way!

I'm glad to hear they are again enforcing the stay out of the fountains laws!

3. Re: Don't bathe in the fountains!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 31 August 2010, 13:35
Level Contributor
745 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Don't bathe in the fountains!

Its very sad that it even needs mentioning (though it might help to put off those who are tempted to bathe in the fountains!)

London
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Don't bathe in the fountains!

Nobody should bath in the fountains you will get fined if you do so. This are important national monuments!!

It's hot in the summer get a face spray or a water spray for the body or don't go at all to Italy in hot weather. Don't through yourself in an ancient monument. You know how much does it costs the Italian government to repair such rare and important national monuments due to the ignorance of foolish tourists who want to have a bath! Are you goin to repair teh ancient monumet with yoru own money NO it always falls on the poor Italians to do so evrytime someone as a bath in a fountain they are ctually consuming the stones of the fountain itself. Have a bath in your hotel or B&B!! You are not the only one who is hot all teh Italian suffer teh heat as much you do and they don't have bath in ancient unique fountains!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Don't bathe in the fountains!

I've been trying to figure out an appropriate comment here --- other than Yuck! and "Is this the beginning of the end of civilization" ...

Aren't these the same fountains whose water is clean enough to drink ---- at least until now??

7. Re: Don't bathe in the fountains!

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 31 August 2010, 17:35
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Don't bathe in the fountains!

Sono una donna italiana. Ma o une "siphon". Lei siete un troll?

Edited: 31 August 2010, 17:08
9. Re: Don't bathe in the fountains!

Removed on: 31 August 2010, 18:05
ohio
Level Contributor
240 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Don't bathe in the fountains!

I can't imagine getting in any of the fountains. I do remember seeing a post earlier this summer with some photos of some women sitting on the edge of one fountain with their legs in, while reading a book. This was when nit was really hot earlier this summer. The most I did while in Rome was put my hand in the 4 rivers fountain to see how cold the water was...and it was icy cold on a very hot June day. I can see where it would be enticing to get in and cool off, but I didn't see anyone actually get in any of the fountains while we were visiting. I would think it goes without saying that they are not for bathing.