We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

back and forth on Rome trip plans.......

Louisville...
1 post
Save Topic
back and forth on Rome trip plans.......

We can't seem to put together a cohesive plan for our upcoming cruise/trip to Rome. Here's some background info:

1. We will be in Rome in early December. From FCO we are taking the regional train to S.Pietro station area and staying in a nice B&B very near the train station, plan to visit Vatican Museum/St Peter's and then take train from S Pietro the next day to Port Civi for a cruise. After that, we can't seem to settle on a plan. Undecided as to where to stay for our two post cruise nights. Is it worth it to spend more to stay in the central area around Piazza Navona given the fact that we will be there in December? I realize most folks recommend this area over the outlying areas, but I am wondering if due to the shortened and cooler days/evenings....will we actually spend extended evening hours out and about? Would it be worth just hopping on a bus back to a hotel in the Vatican area or another outlying area to save about 50 to 75 dollars per night OR will we actually stay out and about late into the evening? I think I would end up getting cold and heading back to the room by no later than 9:00 p.m. and traveling back to a less expensive place that early might warrant the inconvenience. How long does it take to get to the Vatican area via a bus from the Navona area or Trevi area and are they readily available? One consideration we had thought about was to stay in the same B&B for both pre and post cruise nights...then we could just get off the train at S Pietro on the way back from the cruise and commute back and forth to the other areas of Rome from our B&B location near the SPietro station.

2. If we do decide to stay near Piazza Navona and pay the extra money to do so, should we opt to go straight to Termini from the port area once we finish the cruise and then taxi to the hotel or get off at Trastevere, take Tram 8 and walk to hotel. (if the advice is to get off at Trastevere and take the tram, in the event it was pouring rain that day, I assume we could pick up a cab at Trastevere and the fare would be about the same from there as it would be from Termini, right?) Would getting off at Trastevere station save time or is it a wash in the long run?

Sorry for the rambling post.......as you can see we can't seem to get a game plan going!! Advice needed and certainly appreciated!

Florida
Level Contributor
922 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: back and forth on Rome trip plans.......

Book your tour of the Vatican through one of the tour company's and the will pick you up and take you back to your hotel. That will make things much easier. Plus tour groups spend less time waiting in lines although lines won't be as bad that time of year.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: back and forth on Rome trip plans.......

I would rather stay in a central location, especially in winter when it's dark early. Outlying areas often also have long walks to the bus stop, on more deserted streets, and long waits for a bus.

Given that, the Vatican area is not really an outlying area, especially if your hotel is very near the Vatican or to to the east (towards the river). if you find a hotel in that area that's convenient to a bus stop or metro station, it wouldn't be terribly central, but otherwise fine.

Just verify the transportation situation before you commit, and don't put much faith in advertised fee hotel shuttles; you'll want convenient access to public transportation.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
51 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: back and forth on Rome trip plans.......

Thanks for the replies!

Good points about walking long distances to hotel from metro or bus stop and waiting for buses. The B&B we have booked for the first night is supposedly a 3 minute walk from the S Pietro train station. ( I don't know where we would pick up a bus in that area) Maybe have to walk back to the train station to catch one. Are you familiar with that area?

We chose that particular location so we could easily access the station to go to the cruise port the second day, so we really aren't concerned with that night being convenient to the historical center. One of you mentioned if we stayed in the Vatican area to stay close to the river....do you know if the train station is near the river? I know there are other B&B located near the metro stops on the opposite side of the Vatican area from where we are staying. Is that a better area to consider for the two post cruise nights? Not sure if it is worth the cost savings to stay over near the Vatican, but would certainly want to be in a safe area over there. Thanks!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,061 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: back and forth on Rome trip plans.......

The station is not near the river. There are some wonderful interactive maps of Rome on line if you do a google search, you will find them. The following is not interactive, but you can see where many things are located in the city.

Look for Stazione Termini to see where the station is (closer to right hand side of the map, sort of in the middle section of the map).

rome-in-italy.com/rome_roma/…20rome.jpg

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: back and forth on Rome trip plans.......

I think bookpusher is referring to the San Pietro station, but that's not near the river, either. It's also not in a very convenient neighborhood for anything other than the station. The number 64 bus passes the station, and this would take you to Largo Argentina, near the Pantheon and Piazza Navona, as well as to Termini station, where you can catch buses and the metro to all parts of the city. You could also catch the train from San Pietro station to Termini station; taking the train between these two stations would cost only 1 euro, just like the bus. The train runs less frequently than the bus, but it also makes fewer stops and doesn't have to contend with traffic.

The train that goes to Civitavecchia starts at Termini station, and also stops at Tuscolana, Ostiense, and Trastevere stations before getting to San Pietro. I have a feeling that a lot of people are under the impression that they have to catch this train at San Pietro station, and I'm not sure where that impression is coming from. Someone who asked a question yesterday thought that if she took a train from Termini station to Civitavecchia, she would have to change at San Pietro station. A hotel or B&B near any of the stations I've mentioned would be equally convenient as one near San Pietro station for getting to Civitavecchia.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
51 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: back and forth on Rome trip plans.......

Yes, I was indeed asking about the S Pietro station location. We have tried to decide whether to stay in the same B&B for our two post cruise nights and was wondering if the bus stop was near that B&B which is supposedly 3 minute walk from station.

I hope we have not made a mistake in selecting this location for our first night and trip to the port the next day. It seemed easier than to navigate Termini and we couldn't find a good B&B within walking distance to the Trastevere station; thus we ended up choosing San Pietro.

Do you think we will have trouble getting on the train at S Pietro....in other words, will it be too crowded since it makes all those other stops first??

Thanks.

(still debating location for the two post cruise stays, we thought if the consensus here was that our first B&B location was ok we might just go back there since we would be familiar with it, but still leaning towards selecting a hotel nearer to the center)

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: back and forth on Rome trip plans.......

I personally would not stay near the station in the Vatican area. December is low season in Rome and there are more charming and interesting areas to stay in.

We are always coming back from dinner around 10:30 or 11pm. The local restaurants (those not catering to tourists) do not even open for dinner until 7:30 or later and Rome is gorgeous in the evenings, with the monuments lit up.

I would not plan a trip to Rome with the idea of being back in my room so early in the evening personally,

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: back and forth on Rome trip plans.......

I also would prfer to stay somewhere else after the cruise.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,046 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: back and forth on Rome trip plans.......

IF you truly want to experience the Rome you have read about then staying in a convenient location would help! Is it really important, given all the money you are already spending on this trip, to save $100 on the room?

You don't want to be in some backwater area for your first visit.

You want to see Rome lit up at night in its glory!!

10. Re: back and forth on Rome trip plans.......

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2011, 04:17