We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vatican/Scavi/Dome

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newport, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Vatican/Scavi/Dome

We are going to Rome on Sunday, 1st time in Rome (in fact in Italy) we have not done an itinerary yet but will get round to that before we fly out - hopefully. We have however booked the Vatican and the Scavi tour for Tuesday. Vatican early morning and Scavi at noon, this is probably a stupid question but can we go back to the Dome after doing the Scavi tour? Thanks for your help

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,345 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vatican/Scavi/Dome

The dome is not included with the scavi tour so yes you can go to the dome. There may be a line so just be prepared to wait. And don't forget, there are at least 300 steps to get to the top ;-) For the scavi, make sure your bag is very small or you will have to check it. They don't allow medium or large bags inside the excavation.

Donna

Newport, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vatican/Scavi/Dome

Thank you for your reply, was just worried that if we did not have time between the Vatican and Scavi tour we could not get back to the dome. After all the food we are probably going to eat and the Gelato the 300 steps will be needed

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,345 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vatican/Scavi/Dome

The scavi tour will take between 60 and 90 minutes so you'll have plenty of time to climb the dome in the afternoon. It's a great way to work off those gelatos.

Donna

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vatican/Scavi/Dome

And don't forget there are two options for climbing the dome, taking the stairs all the way up and taking the elevator part way. I think the elevator option costs 2-3 euros more, but it was worth it The Scavi tour will end with you either in the grotto area or right outside of there so just go to your left to the other side of the Basilica for the ticket line for climbing the dome.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
35 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vatican/Scavi/Dome

I just got back from Rome, and I definitely recommend taking the elevator! My friend and I are in our mid 20's and pretty fit, and we were a bit tired by the end (and that was with taking the elevator).

You'll be able to go into the Basilica and climb the dome after the Scavi tour without waiting on the security line (don't know if there will be a line to climb up, there wasn't when we went), just don't forget and walk out of the the security point or you'll have to wait in line again!

Edited: 25 September 2010, 01:15
Hot Sulphur...
Level Contributor
880 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vatican/Scavi/Dome

As dbabe says - don't take any kind of bag on the Scavi tour. I had a normal on the small side, over the shoulder ladies' purse - not a pacsafe or any pack type bag - a regular ladies' purse. And the Swiss Guard made me check it. It's up to them what they allow in!

If you have a purse or any sort of bag, leave time to check it!!!!

So Cal
Level Contributor
401 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vatican/Scavi/Dome

Sorry but I just had a good chuckle...laughing at myself (and my husband) as we have been trying to finalize the "Rome itinerary" for at least three months, and it seems that you are planning to do it in a day or so. Probably the perfect way is somewhere in between your way and our way! Have a great trip!

8. Re: Vatican/Scavi/Dome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2011, 06:21