We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TARF (Trip Advisor Rome Forum) Wine Bar Meet 27 October

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
SoCal
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
TARF (Trip Advisor Rome Forum) Wine Bar Meet 27 October

This is a summary of the upcoming TA Rome forum "wine bar" meet. We now have 6-8 participants but can accommodate more if there is interest. If you will be visiting Rome the 27th of October and would like to attend, please indicate your interest in this thread (or PM me directly) so I can get an accurate headcount for the meet. The particulars are:

When: 27 October (Saturday), 7:30 PM to ?

Where (primary): lI Goccetto, Via dei Banchi Vecchi 14, tel. 066864268. 12.00-15.00, 18.00-02.00.

We have also identified alternate bars in the event the primary has insifficient space for our group; both of these are within a few blocks of Il Goccetto:

La Fiaschetta, Via dei Cappellari 64, tel. 3386421218. 12.00-15.00, 18.00-02.00.

L’Angolo Divino, Via dei Balestrai 12-14, tel. 066864413. 12.00-15.00, 17.00-02.00.

Bar Descriptions: (credits to wantedinrome.com and parlafood.com)

Il Goccetto:

"(Just a few blocks away is) Il Goccetto, a lively, reasonably priced enoteca that is always packed with locals who just as often enjoy a glass perched on their scooters outside as they do at the bar. There is an excellent by-the-glass selection, the cheeses are fabulous, and Sergio, the owner, will even take the guesswork out of the pairing for you; if you order a formaggio misto, he will select cheeses that complement the wine you have chosen. Though many think it begins and ends with mozzarella and parmigiano reggiano, Italy has as diverse a selection of cheeses as France. Il Goccetto’s tomino with black truffle and goat cheese wrapped in vine leaves will open you up to the range of possibilities. In addition, there are also a number of delicious appetizer-sized dishes. The salmon roll-up with robiola cheese and fresh herbs is a perfect partner with a number of whites and a fabulous start to any meal."

La Fiaschetta:

Just a few blocks from Campo de’ Fiori, La Fiaschetta is an alternative to the sometimes rowdy (Drunken Ship) or obnoxious (Sloppy Sam’s) scene that typifies Campo, particularly on weekend nights. At La Fiaschetta, locals meet for a bottle of wine or beer over a cheese or salami plate and enjoy the relative calm that the pub/wine bar has to offer. The owner Giuliano is a diehard surfer (the surfshop on Corso Vittorio Emanuele is his other endeavor), so expect to see surfing videos playing on a loop in the bar’s 2 rooms. 

The wine list features a selection of well-chosen bottles from all over Italy while the beer selection offers includes domestic microbrews and international options. There is a nightly happy hour that starts at 7.

L'Angolo Divino:

L’Angolo Divino is an ideal place to escape the hustle and bustle of the busy Campo de’ Fiori and relax with a glass of wine. The owner is a certified sommelier and will gladly aid you in your selection. You’ll likely be grateful for the help as there are some 700 bottles to choose from. There is also a full kitchen offering pasta or meat in addition to smaller dishes. Some specialities include goose breast, steak with truffle oil and a delicious assortment of cheeses served with chestnut honey. Stunning tables showcasing various wine crate labels and soft candlelight add to the ambiance.

If there is strong interest in one of the two alternates, we can discuss that in this thread-the objective is to find a place that works for all the attendees. Having never been to Rome ourselves, all three will be new experiences for me and Mrs W!

Thanks to Nancycinti and winegal for helping with the list of wine bar "candidates".

Hope to see you there!

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,413 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TARF (Trip Advisor Rome Forum) Wine Bar Meet 27 October

This post makes me wish I was going next month instead of next year! Thanks for the info on the enotecas, we'll be staying very near there and I want to try all 3!

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,580 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TARF (Trip Advisor Rome Forum) Wine Bar Meet 27 October

I've replied by PM but just wanted to point out that 27 Oct is Wednesday, not Saturday! I can make either Wed or Sat, though. Looking forward to it!

Chris

SoCal
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TARF (Trip Advisor Rome Forum) Wine Bar Meet 27 October

Thanks, Chris, for pointing out the error. The date of 27 October, which is a WEDNESDAY (big letters so I remember this time!), is correct. Hopefully everybody else (except me!) figured out the correct day of the week. :-)

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TARF (Trip Advisor Rome Forum) Wine Bar Meet 27 October

Sorry I'll be missing this one too!

Chris, will you be flying up to Roma or getting the train? I'll be heading to Venice on the 27th.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,416 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TARF (Trip Advisor Rome Forum) Wine Bar Meet 27 October

I'll be there on WEDNESDAY! Thanks for organizing this, Webdweeb.

Havertown...
Level Contributor
881 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: TARF (Trip Advisor Rome Forum) Wine Bar Meet 27 October

I hope no one "TARFs" after drinking too much ;p

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,580 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TARF (Trip Advisor Rome Forum) Wine Bar Meet 27 October

Hi, Kath, only just seen your post! It's train from Naples. How are you going? Only a little over three weeks to go!

rome
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TARF (Trip Advisor Rome Forum) Wine Bar Meet 27 October

I'd like to join in too. Is that possible??

SoCal
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TARF (Trip Advisor Rome Forum) Wine Bar Meet 27 October

Kathleen, we seem to be like two ships passing in the night-sorry we won't be able to meet up.

Stettola, you are most welcome to join us-I will add you to the list. If you plan to bring anyone with you, please let me know.

BTW, I plan to phone the three bars on the list within the next day or two to determine if it is possible to reserve tables, and if so, how they might accommodate last minute attendees. Some forum members have expressed an interest in attending but are unsure at this time if their schedule or other commitments will allow it, so we will try to accommodate that as much as possible. I will post my findings after I chat with the bar management.

10. Re: TARF (Trip Advisor Rome Forum) Wine Bar Meet 27 October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2011, 06:37