We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Rome to Florence

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
South Africa
Level Contributor
15 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Rome to Florence

I would like to find out a bit more about booking tickets for the train trip from Rome to Florence. Is it advised to book online in advance or can one book once in Rome? What is the difference between 1st class and 2nd class? I see it is more expensive to go on a high speed train. What is the slower train like, do you get to see some countryside if you take the slower train? One more question. I see there are multiple websites from which one can book a train ticket. If booking online is better, which site do you book from? Your feedback would be really appreciated, thanks!

auckland
Level Contributor
421 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Rome to Florence

I'm no expert-hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I am will post!We took the train into Rome last year and it was reasonably easy , even for little old Kiwis on their first trip! I used Trenitalia to check times, printed out this information and then purchased our tickets at the station.Check back on this forum , there is some very good advice ."Ron in Rome" also has very detailed information for the railway station in Rome, including photos.The train was great, no problems, just remember to validate the ticket in the machines on the platforms.We didn't worry about first class and we were fine.Everyone was very helpful.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,498 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Rome to Florence

The only web site that has normal prices for Italian trains is:

http://trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html

All of the others charge more for the tickets.

I always travel second class; there is little or no difference between the two, not at all worth the difference in price in my opinion.

The slow trains do take a different route from the fast trains, and you may see more of the countryside. I've never taken them, so I don't know how much you see. The regional train, leaving Rome at 6:43 AM, is the cheapest of all, and has no reserved seats. There's no advantage at all to buying tickets in advance for this train.

All of the other trains have reserved seats, but they rarely sell out. The web site has problems with non-Italian cards, so you may not be able to buy the tickets before arriving in Italy.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,816 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Rome to Florence

we always get our tickets to Florence at the Rome airport when we get our tickets into Termini -- that way if the plane is late (we have had European trips come in as much as 5 hours late) then we don't have to worry -- the agent at the airport train station will sell you the ticket reservation for the train you can comfortably make

the difference between first and second in a reserved seat train is that the former costs more. the slight differences in comfort are not significant IMHO for a 3.5 hours trip.

faster is better

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,816 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Rome to Florence

re first class -- I confused the times on the previous post -- Thalys on the brain -- the time is only 90 minutes Rome to Florence in perfectly comfortable reserved second class seat

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,989 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Rome to Florence

I do not recall any reports of whether or not South African cards will work on the Trenitalia web site. It is worth a try if your plans are fixed, as there are discounts of up to 30% for advance purchase. However, the discounted tickets are generally "no change, no refund".

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,498 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Rome to Florence

I would say that if your departure time to Florence depends on the arrival time of a bus, plane, or other train, you shouldn't buy discounted tickets from Rome to Florence. It's not possible to change them for a new ticket if you should miss the train for *any* reason.

7. Re: Train from Rome to Florence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2011, 06:38