We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just to have fun

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
rome
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Just to have fun

I'm leaving Mon. 4 on an organized tour to NY-WA-Philly. Today I received some info from the tour operator.

So this is it, just to have an overview from Italian tourists side:

- LANGUAGE: English

- HEALTH: we suggest to buy an insurance before leaving due to the very high costs of Medical Care in USA

- SHOPPING: consider that taxes are not included and calculate a 10% more when buying clothes and so on

This is the part I like the best:

FOOD: when u get in a restaurant u'll always find a waiter who will ask how many people and if u prefer to sit in a smoker's area (smoking or not?). This question is less and less asked cause a NY State law forbids smoking in all public areas. Anyway you can find many places where owners will pay big fees to let you smoke (!!!)-If u order meat u should say how u like it cooked: rare (al sangue-it's not bloody), medium (media), well done (ben cotta). The second course is usually served with veggies. If u pay with a credit card u can add the tip on it.

AND this is the best of the best for me: It often happens that Americans ask for a doggy bag, which is a bag with the remains of the meal. In the States it is a normal habit.

SAFETY: usually there aren't real dangers travelling thru USA. Anyway, even if the crime rate (especially in big cities such as Los Angels or Miami) is high, you are safe if you stay downtown and don't go to dangerous neighbourhoods (usually located off the tourist itineraries). If u rent a car you'd better hide the "rent-a-car" identification mark and should you be involved in a fender bender accident do not stop but keep driving until u find a crowded area or a police station. These kind of accidents could hide a robbery attempt.

remember that guns are easily bought in USA and many Americans own one. Nevertheless in this case too the danger for a tourist is almost zero.

Staying away from bad area and wise behaviour will keep you safe and will allow you to spend a lovely vacation in the USA.

WOW, I've been going back and forth across the pound for years and I never thought of all the odds!

Ciao, laugh with me.

rome
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Just to have fun

and they didn't mention how high the tip should be? that it is different than Italy? just wondering!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just to have fun

Don't worry, we'll buy you a gun when you get to Philly, lol!

Sales tax here in PA is 6% (will you be going to the King of Prussia Mall?)

Smoking is prohibited at all indoor restaurants and bars in Pennsylvania and probably everywhere you'll be traveling.

Don't forget to ask your waiter or waitress all about themselves, their upcoming term at school and how they like their new roommates.... they LOVE to share details about their personal lives during your dinner! :-)

Most of all... HAVE FUN!!

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
3,336 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just to have fun

i'm smiling :) wishing u a great trip !!!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just to have fun

don't worry about the tipping... they know you guys don't tip! Just a few coins will do, lol!

:-)'

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Just to have fun

You should plan to tip between 15-20% on your meal. Wait staff in the US are paid a very low wage and depend on tips.

Marysville
Level Contributor
241 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just to have fun

Thanks for the chuckle!

Marysville
Level Contributor
241 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just to have fun

Oh and have a great trip!

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just to have fun

Your comment about guns is too funny - but so true.

You see Americans worry about pick-pocketing in Italy, but then you think of the things that would worry tourists coming to the USA and I would imagine coming from Europe that guns would be one of those things.

A woman from Canada told me at a bus stop once... "In Canada the men shoot Moose. Here the men shoot each other." So true.

I was in San Francisco last month when 2 german tourists were killed accidentally during a "disagreement" outside a bar/nightclub among 2 other people. Right in the big touristy area.

Health Care is astronomically high in the US, I always tip 20%, I don't eat red meat (not much meat at all really) so I don't have to worry about ordering something medium-well.

I never hear the expression "doggy bag". Not in the north, south, east , or west. People say "To-Go" or ask for a box or to-go box.

I enjoyed your post very much :-)

Edited: 30 September 2010, 20:57
DFW, TEXAS
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just to have fun

Washington is a great city to visit, alot to see and do. One of our favorites.

We usually tip 20% and less if the service is poor.

If you ever get to Texas I am sure we could set you with your own gun also

maybe a '380.

You should come to Texas when they have the tax free weekend during back to school you could save a lot of money on clothes w/o any tax added.

10. Re: Just to have fun

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 30 September 2010, 21:11