We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When to buy Train Tickets?

cincinnati
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
When to buy Train Tickets?

Will be arriving Rome mid-Oct for five nights, then heading to Florence by train for 4 nights, then to Bologna for one night, flying home the next morning. Is it advisable or recommended that we purchase our train tickets from Rome-Florence and Florence-Bologna as soon as possible upon arrival in Italy? Or, should there be sufficient seats available if we choose to wait until the dates of departure? Also, do ticket prices go up the longer you wait to purchase? Thanks!

Watertown, MA
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When to buy Train Tickets?

you can purchase your train tickets when you arrive if you are sure about times and dates. There are many many many trains per day for those routes. I would not worry about sold out trains.

I have bought tickets 15 minutes before departure at self service ticket machines very easily with cash or Mastercard. You not be able to buy tickets in the US.

The price you see for today is the same price you would pay in the future (which is different than say Amtrak)

you may be able to get the meno 15% discount for travel between Rome and Florence and Bologna if you buy your tickets when you first arrive. There are a limited number of tickets available and there are restrictions.

here's the info

www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

if you can't get the discount I would recommend traveling 2nd class on the ES A (fast trains) both trips are not very long. There are slower trains that are cheaper but take longer. On all trains except for the regional trains you will have an assigned seat.

enjoy your trip!

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,037 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When to buy Train Tickets?

I'm afraid my ususal modus operendi is to buy ticket on the next train tghat is leaving fro my destination after I arrive at the station allwoing at least 15 to buy tickets and get to the track. Unless you buy early enough to get the 15% discount, it doesn't make any difference.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When to buy Train Tickets?

You won't be in Italy early enough to qualify for the Meno 15% fare, but there are other discounts in effect this month.

If you have children under 12, you can get the normal family fare (20% discount for adults, 50% discount for children under 12), but in addition (for October only) all the women over 12 in the group travel free.

In addition, women travel free on Saturdays (in October only) if accompanied by one paying passenger (male or female).

And finally, there are Autumn discounts available in limited numbers for second class tickets on all the fast trains. These have to be bought at least one day in advance, but since they sell out, I would try to buy the tickets as soon as you arrive in Italy.

4. Re: When to buy Train Tickets?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2011, 07:35