We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a wheelchair accessible hotel near the Pantheon

So. Cal
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a wheelchair accessible hotel near the Pantheon

My husband and I will be in Rome for 6 days in November and I am trying to find a nice hotel with wheelchair accessible rooms in the Pantheon, Campo Fiori area. My husband is very active but he needs a room with doorways wide enough to get into the bathroom and no stairs into the building or the dining area. Our budget is up to $250 per night. Any recommendations?

Thanks for any help you are able to give me

Wendy

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,753 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a wheelchair accessible hotel near the Pantheon

I would start with figuring out your budget in euros (as of today is costs $1.40 for one euro) then go to Venere.com where you can sort by location - then, I would suggest emailing hotels that look of interest to you and asking them about your specific needs. Many hotels may have wide enough doorways into the bathroom and into the room itself but have stairs leading up into the hotels themselves.

Others here will probably have some specific recommendations for you as well.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a wheelchair accessible hotel near the Pantheon

I think Hotel Torre Argentina is accessible, has accessible rooms and an elevator, but it has no restaurant. It may be within your budget in November.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,796 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a wheelchair accessible hotel near the Pantheon

I know that the Del Senato is wheelchair accessible; there was a guest in a wheelchair when we visited last year. However, the hotel was a huge splurge for us and not sure whether it will fit your budget. There is no restaurant but of course the neighborhood is full of restaurants. Good luck!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
116 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a wheelchair accessible hotel near the Pantheon

I am in a wheelchair and will be in Rome from Nov. 1 through Nov. 7. The hotels which I found were the Albergo del Senato which write across the Pantheon and the IQ Roma which is a little further aways. I don't know when exactly you are going but I can give you my impressions when I get back. Both of these hotels claim to be wheelchair accessible. We are staying 4 nights at one and 2 nights at the other.

So. Cal
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a wheelchair accessible hotel near the Pantheon

Thanks - that would be great! We are leaving Nov. 16.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a wheelchair accessible hotel near the Pantheon

"We are staying 4 nights at one and 2 nights at the other."

Just curious as to why you are splitting your stay? Seems like a hassle to me.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
116 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for a wheelchair accessible hotel near the Pantheon

The IQ has much better pricing than the Albergo but they were not available for all of the nights. By doing this we saved 400-500 Euro. We thought this was worth a the hassle. :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,753 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for a wheelchair accessible hotel near the Pantheon

That sounds very worth the hassle especially now that the euro is kicking the dollar's tush again.

Have a terrific trip!

Pasadena, CA
Level Contributor
472 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for a wheelchair accessible hotel near the Pantheon

If your husband cannot walk any steps at all, you must also ask any potential hotel the following questions:

1. Are there any steps into the hotel from the street, and if so, is there an alternate way to get inside.

2. Once inside, are there any steps from the entry to the elevator. This is a common problem.

3. Are there any steps from the elevator to the room -- some hallways have steps in them.

4. Are there any steps to get to the breakfast room. If so, will they bring breakfast to your room instead.

My wife uses an electric scooter for distance. She can get on and off and can climb a few stairs when there`s no other choice. We`ve been to Rome several times. The last time we were there we had good luck at the very nice Hotel Mozart. It`s near the Spanish Steps, not the Pantheon. It`s on a pedestrian only street so a cab can`t pull up in front, but it`s very close to the corner where they drop you. It has a flat entrance. The first room they gave us had the infamous steps in the hallway, but they realized the problem, gave us a second very nice room, and my wife found the hotel completely accessible.

So. Cal
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for a wheelchair accessible hotel near the Pantheon

Thank for the information - I appreciate it!