We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome's Impressive but... (trip report - long)

Halifax, Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
54 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Rome's Impressive but... (trip report - long)

This is an abbreviated version of a full and very long report posted on www.mytb.org/mmccann.

My Rome Tips:

- buy individual metro tickets. It's easy, and walking really is the way to see Rome.

- Do some performances - an opera, a concert, a play - there is something special about seeing them in Rome.

- Pre-book the Vatican and the Borghese, and buy the Roma pass to skip the line at the Colosseum.

- Be prepared for the chaos of the Vatican and Sistine Chappel. Know what you're getting into and it will be a less frustrating experience.

- Rome is dirty, there is lots of graffiti - but none of it detracts from the city's beauty.

- Finally, we spent 10 days in Rome. That is too long, even though we didn't get to see everything we hoped to. I'd say a week would be perfect. That said we had a great time - here are the highlights:

Day 1

Arrived from Florence via train, walked from Termini to our apartment on Via Ciancaleoni. We were early, so we shared a delicious pizza at Tratoria il Tettarello across from our apartment (see my review). Roman Reference rep showed up on time, showed us the apartment - everything was well. It was a small studio with a terrace, and while not luxurious, suited our needs well. Full review at: www.slowtrav.com/italy/vr/review.asp?n=4702. We wandered over to Piazza Santa Maria Maggiore, picked up our Roma passes and loaded up on groceries. We were so exhausted from the day that we spent the afternoon resting on our terrace.

Day 2

Our busiest day in Rome started at the Colosseum, which was of couse spectacular. We skipped the very long line thanks to our Roma Pass, which gave us immediate access - no line at all! After the Colosseum, we wandered south, down by the Circus Maxiumus, then up to the Mouth of Truth. We crossed the Tiber and explored Travestere, including Santa Maria in Travestere. We crosed over near Campo di Fiore, which hilariously was covered in garbage - it was clean up time! We'd come back again. We kept walking, stopped in Piazza Navona, then spent an hour at the Parthenon. The Minerva Church next door was also definatly worth a visit, if for nothing else to see the Michaelangelo statue of Christ carrying the cross. We went to the Trevi Fountain next, which was very crowded - we literally had to push our way down to the water, then crawl back out again. We walked home via a tunnel under the Quirinel, and had dinner at Il Tettarello, which was quickly becoming "our" pizzeria.

Day 3

We spent the entire day exploring old Rome, the Forum and the Palentine. It is surprising how much of the Forum you can see without going in - but going in was an amazing experience. It rained on and off all day, but this did not deter us from doing the full audio tour at the Forum - which was spectacular. By the end of it, we climbed up to a high point and looked over the forum and could imagine all of the activity in old Rome. We got about halfway through the Palentine audio tour, having spent about six hours in the Forum. Not sure how so many people can do the Colosseum, Forum and Palentine in a single day - we certainly couldn't! We called it a day with another dinner at Il Tettarello.

Day 4

We spent the morning exploring the wonderful Capitoline Museums, well worth a visit, then hung out on Capitoline Hill for a while. I wasn't feeling too well so we spent the afternoon resting in our apartment, made a simple dinner of salad and pasta, and headed out - for an evening at the Opera! The Operat itself was mediocre, but the experience of seeing an Opera in the gorgeous Teatro del'Opera was was amazing. We had box seats, all to ourselves - a very romantic atmosphere.

Day 5

The day started with a sleep in, then our two-hour pre-booked tour of the Borghese Gallery, which has some of the best art we saw in Italy. The statute of the Nymph Daphne turning into a tree was particularily powerful. Touring tip: everyone enters the museum at the same time, and everyone starts in Room 1. If you go straight upstairs, tour there first, then move downstairs, you will have a much less crowded experience. After the Gallery we explored the Borghese gardens, then took the stairs down to Piazza del Polopo. Too exhausted to do much else, we retreated to our pizzeria for dinner.

Day 6

We started the day by exploring the Victor Emmanuel monument, then toured next door at the Basillica di Santa Maria in Aracoeli. We found Rome's City Hall, though there were no tours we wandered around the outside. We stopped for lunch at a little bakery (can't remember the name) and got take-out – a slice of pizza, a Panini and the best desert of our trip, some sort of grape pie.

The main event of the day were the Vatican Museums, which we had booked for the early afternoon. We found the Vatican Museums to be a pretty miserable experience. Once we were past the first bit - statutes, and the wonderful Egypt exhibit - it was just crowds, tour groups, and people pushing. The Sistine Chapel wasn't much better, only you had the added pleasure of the guards shouting "silencio" and "no photo"!. I feel sorry for anyone trying to have a truly spiritual experence here. It was ultimatly worth doing - but I'd never do it again.

We wandered through Travestere, and up to Piazza Garibaldi for great views of Rome. We finished off with dinner in a little lane in Travestere - again forgot the name. The food was not great, and we decided to stick with our delicious pizzeria the rest of the trip.

Day 7

Back up to the Vatican, this time to climb St. Peter's Dome and explore the church. The Dome is fun to climb - you actually start to tilt as you climb, it becomes very clear that it is a dome. When we were done, we headed over to Castle San Angelo, and spent the afternoon there. It was raining, and were tired, so we called it an early day around six.

Day 8

Today was Sunday, and we knew Via Appia Antica was closed to cars - so we spent the day wandering the old road to Rome. Monuments, old cobblestone and of course, the catacombes! We chose to go to the San Sebastian ones, and they were great. The best part of the whole walk was coming up upon the gate to Rome. We went to an evening piano concert at the Teatro Marcello, then wandered over to see the Colosseum at night.

Day 9

Back up to St. Peters for the Scavi Tour, an excellent tour into the catacombs under St. Peters. We then spent some time at the Campo di Fiore market (do have one of those pork sandwhiches if you get a chance!), and then had gelato at Giolotti - which although a harrowing experience, was the best gelato of the trip. The Rizo was *amazing*. We followed the signs to the Spanish Steps, avoided the men with roses, and climbed to the top. We trained down to the Pyramid and the Protestant Graveyard, a peaceful break from hectic Rome, then trained back up to the Spanish Steps to see the Cappucian Church. This church is a very bizarre experience - looking up and seeing that the lamps are made from pelivs bones is kinda creepy - but it is a one of a kind thing. We finished the day with some very expensive beer across from the church.

Day 10

We did the audio tour of the Baths of Caracalla, which was great. They were setting up for the performance of Romeo & Juliet, which I was so sad we were missing by three days (tip: check the performance schedules at the Baths before finalizing your schedule if you're interested - it looks like an amazing show). We then headed over to the Aventine, found a wonderful little park filled with oranges and then found the legendary keyhole. One last stop at Giolotti, and we were all done with Rome. Time to pack, have one more dinner at our pizzeria, and say goodbye to Rome.

canada
Level Contributor
7,680 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome's Impressive but... (trip report - long)

Agree that straight 10 days in Rome is a bit exhausting, even started to feel boring. Some call it churched out, museumed out, rubbled out, arted out. After about 3 days, I needed to go outside the city to have a change of scenery, like Tivoli, the sea, or Orvieto, even Caserta. I think the sheer concentration of artifacts is overwhelming, and one needs time to digest them. My current strategy is to spend a few days whenever passing through the area, and see something different. I don´t have the urge to return to see Trevi fountain anymore.

Belgium
Level Contributor
408 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome's Impressive but... (trip report - long)

Thank you so much for this exellent report! We're thinking about visiting Rome next year, and this includes so much info for us. Many thanks!

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
108 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome's Impressive but... (trip report - long)

Glad to hear you had such a great (and full!) trip. Come visit us again soon!

www.revealedrome.com

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
663 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome's Impressive but... (trip report - long)

Great trip report. I have saved it. We are planning to go to Rome next year.

Thanks.

Grosse Pointe...
Level Contributor
69 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome's Impressive but... (trip report - long)

I enjoyed your reports here and on TravelBlog. You and Sam seem very agreeable travellers. But I do think you are wrong about 10 days in Rome. We have spent 10 days in Rome and were just as infatuated with it the last day as the first day. The day we got back to Detroit I would gladly have gotten on the next flight to Rome and gone back. Everything is terrific -- the language, the food, the people, the antiquities, the Renaissance, Garibaldi, Italian politics, shopping, Romecabs, and most hotel personnel. A delightful place!!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,404 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome's Impressive but... (trip report - long)

You obviously had a great time. Thanks for posting your experiences.

Just a few points.

#A day transport ticket is only E4 per person, so if you think you will be travelling a bit, a day pass is worthwhile.

# The ticket to the Forum/Palatine/Colosseum is a two day pass so you may re-enter as often as you like during the two days, which makes it a bit more digestible. And if you enter the complex from the Via dei Fori Imperali just up the street from Colosseo there is almost never a line, so you don't need the Roma Pass to skip the line.

#The Roma Pass is only useful and economic if you can fit its parameters re museum entries and transport. It may or may not be worth it. Check out the cost against your personal itinerary.

#Campo dei Fiori is host to a morning market. If you get there much after lunch almost all of it will be gone and the detritus left behind. The same with most fresh food markets by the way.

# Completely agree re visiting the upstairs paintings in the Borghese first, then coming down to see the statues later, when you can have them all to yourself. It also means you get the paintings almost to yourself as well.

# Some sort of tour, advice, guide, audio tour of the Forum and Palatine is strongly advised. As you found, it made the area become alive and you could follow the history. Without some guidance it is just a bunch of ruins.

# Shame you missed some good eating places in Rome. We have a few favourites but we have also been caught preferring somewhere we know rather than risking and/or searching for other places.

# people are always shocked by the first visit to Trevi Fountain. It is a big fountain in a small space (very small space) and the crowds are huge. We love to come back at night when the fountain is lit and there are very few people.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome's Impressive but... (trip report - long)

IMO eating at the same place for 9 nights in a city like Rome would bore me to death! There are too many interesting and delicious options throughout the city. Finding them encourages one to explore the various neighborhoods of the city as well as to experience the diversity of the cuisine. Perhaps that contributed to the boredom of the OP as their experiences were quite narrow in that aspect of the trip.

We also avoid the Trevi until late in the evening as it is just too crowded.

Edited: 19 October 2010, 13:08
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
54 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome's Impressive but... (trip report - long)

I agree, we missed out on some other eating opportunities in Rome, but we did gain something else - being greeted and welcomed each night by the owner and waitressess as old friends, meeting some of the regulars, ending each day in a comfortable, familiar atmosphere, feeling certain that we were getting a good value, and being able to try virutually everything on the menu.

For us, the issue was also budgetary and one of value. We had only been planning to eat at a restaurant every other day in Rome (ie, 5 meals), and to cook in our apartment the rest of the time. By finding a place with delicious food where we could both eat a big meal with wine and dessert for under $30euro, we didn't have to prepare as many of our own meals to stay on budget. I guess its not how everyone woud do it, but it worked for us.

Plus we were so exhausted at the end of each day, going no farther than across the street was an attractive option!

In terms of the Roma Pass, my point was to make sure people who are debating whether to get it understand there is a value beyond the economics to having the Roma pass. We would have waited an hour to get into the Colosseum without the pass. I'm cheap, and I would have paid double for the pass just to skip that line!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rome's Impressive but... (trip report - long)

My husband and I also often return to the same restaurant again and again. I don't see why that would be boring, unless they had only one dish on the menu. We, like Michelle and Sam, enjoy feeling as though the staff know us, and often they begin to suggest things, such as , "Next time, you should try ...; I think you'll like it."

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rome's Impressive but... (trip report - long)

The difference IMO is that you live in Italy and have access to wonderful food on a regular basis. IMO food is a key part of the overall experience when in Italy but I know it is not the same for all travelers.

Food and wine are two of the primary reasons we enjoy Italy so much and are very high on our personal list of priorities. We have our favorite spots as well - though not so much in Rome as in Florence. There we have friends that own a trattoria and we do dine there very often when in town.

I do understand budget is an issue as well as convenience for many people.