We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome Restaurant for Birthday

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
285 reviews
Save Topic
Rome Restaurant for Birthday

I'm looking for some suggestions for a restaurant in Rome in early December for a birthday celebration. Just the two of us.

We are looking for something where the food is excellent, the chef is innovative and where the locals love to go for fresh and seasonal. Flavourful food is first in importance

We are staying near Termini, but anywhere the metro and then our feet can take us.

We are from Montreal. We know what good food is. We want to try some of the best of Rome. (If we were in Montreal we would be talking about places like Pied du Cochon, Garde Manger, Europea, Club Chasse et Peche.)

rome
Level Contributor
2,197 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome Restaurant for Birthday

Don't know the places you mention, but from the rest of your description I am thinking either Antico Arco or (higher end) il Pagliaccio. Also, have a look at the chowhound forums italy board if you are a foodie.

Seattle
Level Contributor
54 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome Restaurant for Birthday

Gaetano Costa in the via Venato area, on Siscilia near the Excelsior or Marriott. See my post about learning to cook. I took a private class from Chef Gaetano yesterday. It is a small restaurant, with fantastic gourmand experience where you can take a lesson or just go for dinner.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome Restaurant for Birthday

Thank you, both.

Someone else gave me the following suggestions:

La Mantia

Settembrini

Ristorante Pastificio

Any opinions on them?

I must admit that Pagliaccio looks wonderful, as well.

Someone else suggested, La Pergola, but the prices seem outrageous. Has anyone been that can tell me if the prices are justified for the menu de degustation? Or is it more reasonable to order one appetizer, two mains and one dessert to get a real feel and taste for this restaurant? (Reminds me of Toque here in Montreal.)

rome
Level Contributor
2,197 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome Restaurant for Birthday

Chef Filippo La Mantia has a restaurant at the Hotel Majestic. He has an interesting cuisine, strictly Sicilian, no garlic, no onion, no butter. Fine dining.

Settembrini is getting better and better, but also its fame is. Havent been there for a couple of months now but it is very good.

I think you forgot a part of the name with the 3rd one, it is too general and not the real name.

Non (the ones you suggest and mine) are traditional eating, all fine dining in varying degrees.

La Pergola is one of the best restaurants in Italy, has 3 michelin stars and I do think the prices are justified, though others on these forums will disagree. If you are ordering the courses you've written for 2 people (not per person), this is not the kind of place where you can do that. This is really really fine dining, one of the best. If you go there, you don't worry about the prices.

I really really suggest you read around the chowhound italy board, again. TA is not the best place for recommendations of restaurants at this level.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome Restaurant for Birthday

I was very disappointed in La Pergola when I ate there in March. One pasta dish was wonderful but the rest of the dinner was not including the dessert. Found the staff stiff and robotic. I would definitely go elsewhere.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome Restaurant for Birthday

Ginger, One doesn't go to La Pergola for jokey Italian waiters. Or for the North American, "Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm your server tonight." They have a different view of professionalism from yours, and yours is not necessarily the valid one.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome Restaurant for Birthday

Oh that's funny Zerlina. Do you think I eat at Casey's or Chuckie Cheese? The staff at Pergola were indifferent, never smiled or seemed particularly interested in what they were doing. The food at La Pergola, compared to many other michelin restaurants I've eaten at, was disappointing, as was the atmosphere.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome Restaurant for Birthday

@wine_gal_Rome

Sorry the third one was www.pastificiocerere.com/ristorante/index.php

Thank you for the suggestion to go to Chowhound. I'm a bit overwhelmed there, but I'm reading through, since I'm not really a regular there.

I'm much less worried about the waiters than the food and atmosphere. I was hoping to find something very special food wise for his birthday. But somehow €200 a person does seem exorbitant, especially before wine. I have no qualms with spending it, if it truly is spectacular and worth the money and experience. In other words, something that you do once in your life so that you can remember it fondly for the rest of your days. But at that price, the chance of living with the regret for the rest of your days is also a possibility.

rome
Level Contributor
2,197 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Rome Restaurant for Birthday

Oh, Pastificio San Lorenzo is one of the new shooting stars, very good!

If you feel that way about La Pergola, maybe it is better if you just leave it be. I mean this really in a very heartfelt way. You can have a similar experience somewhere else in the world at one point, but in Italy you can skip that, as well.

I would narrow down your choices to Antico Arco, Settembrini (especially if you like wine) and San Lorenzo. Read up on them, then decide.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
331 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rome Restaurant for Birthday

I agree with skipping La Pergola. For me, it was a typical, upper scale restaurant with beautifully presented dishes, but the taste was nothing to rave about. I categorize the food as "Continental Cuisine", which you can get every day; albeit not on such a grand or expensive scale. (Our dinner cost $800 for two, with drinks and a bottle of wine.)

You're going to be in Italy. Savor the food and ambience of a true Italian restaurant.