We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pompeii amenities and travel with older mother

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,001 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Pompeii amenities and travel with older mother

I started to add this to my previous thread about summer vs spring travel, then decided I was getting too off topic and should start a new thread.

I am looking at a trip to Rome (leaning towards April 2011) with a day trip to Pompeii. My 13 year old daughter would be with me, but my mother may want to come too. She is older and not very fit. Are there places to sit and rest in Pompeii? (She's not above sitting on rocks, tree stumps, etc in other locations. She can sit on the ground, but she needs help to get up.) She did walk around Paris and through the metro stations there, but we did slow down our travel. She did ok with trains in France but my sister and I carried her luggage on and off for her. Any suggestions on whether this would be a suitable trip for her? If not, she would probably be fine with staying in Rome for the day to rest. She took a day off from sightseeing to rest in Paris. Any suggestions for logistics with her?

Also, are there toilets readily available? Can you refill water bottles there?

Level Contributor
745 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pompeii amenities and travel with older mother

Sitting, reesting in Pompeii is quite easy. I have a problem with my knee, so often have to do this. The ancient Pavements in Pompeii are much higher than modern ones (because streets often doubled as open drains in the ancient world), and so the kerbs provide very handy seating at just the right height. There are also some places with proper seating.

Water is readily available. There a loads of standpipes and reused ancient fountains from which to refill water bottles, and it is all safe to drink.

Toilets are more of a problem. There are some near the Forum, but not sure if they are currently open (hopefully someone like Peter may be able to confirm this). There are also toilets in the Palaestra behind the Theatre. Can't off hand remember any others.

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,001 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pompeii amenities and travel with older mother

Thanks. Seating sounds fine then. I will have to research the toilet situation more unless someone comes up with a brilliant answer!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pompeii amenities and travel with older mother

For details of what's available at Pompei, you'll find it useful to get the two maps here...

www.unicocampania.it/index.php…

and to have a good look at their lovely new website...

http://www.pompeiviva.it/pv/en/pompei.htm

That, for instance, has a suggested gentler route which may be appreciated, though - as it's suitable for wheelchairs - it starts at a different entrance, the one they call "Piazza Anfiteatro"....

www.pompeiviva.it/pv/en/friendly_pompei.htm

Haven't peed at Pompei myself for many years, but the map they were giving people in 2009 shows them only at the entrances - plus, once you're in the site, the Autogrill cafe/restaurant has some...

http://www.pompeiviva.it/pv/en/autogrill.htm

There was talk of building more, but nothing as yet - as far as I'm aware?

Peter

Level Contributor
745 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pompeii amenities and travel with older mother

The toilets in the Palaestra behind the theatre were definitely open in 2008, but since then .... ?

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pompeii amenities and travel with older mother

If you want to visit Pompeii with your mother, I would definitely recommend going in the spring rather than the summer. It can get quite hot there, and there is little shade. Sometimes it's even hot in the spring.

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,001 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pompeii amenities and travel with older mother

Thanks everyone.

Peter, that's a really good website. A little intimidating, though. I had heard the site was big, but that really brings home how big. We'll never see it all. (That's ok, I just was realizing how big it was.)

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pompeii amenities and travel with older mother

Although it wasn't quite the same sort of city, and the site's much less explored (half or more is still covered by modern buildings), nearby Herculaneum may be a possible alternative?

http://www.pompeiviva.it/pv/en/ercolano.htm

It's much easier to 'see' as a place where people once lived...

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/herc

Peter

PS - you could add this to Ostia Antica perhaps?

Edited: 25 October 2010, 16:55
Illinois
Level Contributor
17,001 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pompeii amenities and travel with older mother

I will definitely consider that and see what my daughter thinks. If it were just me, I would probably not bother with the trip to Pompeii and just go to Herculaneum or Ostia Antica, but she may feel that she wants to see the place she knows about. Not that she makes the final decision, but travelling is better if we both have input.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,839 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pompeii amenities and travel with older mother

There were only 2 areas with toilets when I was there in 2008. In east Pompeii by the Palaestera, and in east Pompeii by the Forum Baths Over the cafeteria and a single across the way in the Archeologist's offices.

you can sit on curbs, pieces of marble that are not roped off,

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

inn the theaters and the Amphitheater

The triangular Forum Temple even has some trees to sit under

There are tombs with seats that you can sit on

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pompeii amenities and travel with older mother

I like the way you're approaching this more and more!

Together with Herculaneum - or maybe even Pompei - you might perhaps make a day of your trip to this area by visiting the Castel Nuovo in Naples - cannon-fire damage and all..

Exterior here...

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/napoli_centro

and a few of the interior here..

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/slides_naples

Peter