We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

grandson eleven and Grandmother

nyc
Level Contributor
147 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
grandson eleven and Grandmother

Lots of questions. Frist will be staying near the spanish steps. I know it is veryexpensive. Would like some ideas wear to go for resturants that my grandson would injoy? Livinging in a big city we have lots ofresturants for that. Does Rome? Any idies would be great. Also are there any collage people that act as tour guides? Grandson loves history but the reg. guides are expensive thougt maybe I could find some one less . Any surgestions to do with him would be very helpful. Well be there for six days. Would you recomind walking tours for us.? Getting back to resturants I can take taxi. Would like to go were locals eat not only visitors.

RomeInLimo Tours & Excursions
Private Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , City Tours, Walking Tours, Food Tours
Walks of Italy
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Day Trips, Walking Tours
Driver Guide Service
Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, City Tours
Eyes of Rome
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Archaeology Tours
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,819 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: grandson eleven and Grandmother

As for guides --- I would recommend a small group walking tour, where the guides are knowledgeable and can be flexible about the patter.

I was in Rome with my 11 yr old granddaughter last year and we did two walking tours with Context Rome. I had her read a couple of kids books about Rome, and so she really enjoyed the walking tours and the guides were very good about answering her questions.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
26,248 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: grandson eleven and Grandmother

there are lots of self guided walking tours for Rome on line and in guidebooks etc -- these can be great as you read up and then find the landmarks

have your grandson do some of the planning for the trip --

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
35,664 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: grandson eleven and Grandmother

You can download tours that your grandson can listen to by visiting pocketvox.com. There are several tours of the city that are very good. This will allow you to go at your own speed and stop when you want to. This is one of the least expensive ways to tour the city. For restaurants, there are tons of good pizza shops around. Go a few blocks from any of the sites and you will find pizzarias and restaurants that are good and inexpensive.

Donna

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
910 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: grandson eleven and Grandmother

At 11 years of age, you'll find that many tours are free for your grandson, which would mean only you have to pay.

While you will find plenty of inexpensive tours given by students or just people who love Rome, you should be careful in checking their credentials, in order to avoid possible embarrassing situations. Local police are cracking down harder than ever on unlicensed tour guides in Rome.

You might try taking him to Pizzare', which is on Via di Ripetta, not far at all from the Spanish Steps. It's a family style neapolitan pizza chain, my kids have always loved it there.

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: grandson eleven and Grandmother

Near the Spanish Steps on Via della Croce is Otello. A great Roman Restaurant. Lots of families. No pizza.!!!

6. Re: grandson eleven and Grandmother

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2011, 05:17