We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Primi e Secondi?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,903 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Primi e Secondi?

My wife and I are leaving for Rome tomorrow and we are very excited!

We are light eaters but we want to sample many of the Roman specialties.

1. Do diners ever ask to split or share a pasta or risotto and then each order a secondi?

2. Do diners ever wait to see how large the primi is before they order a secondi, or is one expected to always order a primi and a secondi at the same time?

I hope I'm making sense.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,830 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Primi e Secondi?

I think as a tourist destination the restaurants in Rome are very used to catering to people who want to share, or only order a primi. The only thing that might offend is if you wish to eat, grab the check and go, as having a meal is considered something to enjoy at leisure.

At one restaurant we got a starter for my son who is picky, and I got another starter, a Roman artichoke (to die for), while my husband and daughter got huge pizzas. We were all happy. No problem.

Edited: 08 November 2010, 19:39
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,426 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Primi e Secondi?

None of the restaurants where we ate had a problem with splitting a first or second course or with just ordering one course.

Edited: 08 November 2010, 19:51
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,393 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Primi e Secondi?

At lunch my daughter and I usually only eat a primi each.

at dinner we usually share a secondi besides each of us having a primi

Edited: 08 November 2010, 19:53
Hot Sulphur...
Level Contributor
880 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Primi e Secondi?

At dinner we often order as we go. We explain to the waiter(ess) that we are in no hurry and wish to order wine and each course as it comes. Often we share at least one course, usually secondi and often antipasti. So yes, we do order until we can eat no more!!!

Safe Travels!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,068 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Primi e Secondi?

You can do pretty much what you want! How about each having a different appetizer and splitting a pasta or primi. Or one appetizer, one vegetable, and split the primi. Be creative, generally the restaurant doesn't care. Have a glass of house wine and relax while you eat...it's very Italian. And if you like the menu, food, service, and ambiance of the restaurant...by all means go back the next night...they will remember you and will probably give you a free sample of something to show their appreciation.

Grosse Pointe...
Level Contributor
69 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Primi e Secondi?

I had a quirky experience with a shared dish at a Roman restaurant. In a family group, I alone ordered a large single antipasto (for everyone at the table to share). We all ordered primi piatti and secondi piatti. The waiter then served the antipasto, and gave everyone else a primo piatto but not me. They finally brought my primo piatto when everyone else was served the secondo piatto, and finally when everyone else had finished eating, they brought my main course. When I complained, they were indignant that there was anything wrong with the order of the dishes -- it made perfect sense to them.

7. Re: Primi e Secondi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2011, 07:19