We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

italy fantastic country part6 - Rome

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
3,377 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
italy fantastic country part6 - Rome

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187782-i162-k4055…

the sorrento positano part of the trip that happened first is above, it ended in rome which will be below :)

Rome greets us with tears, great big rainstorms of them AND thunder, lightning , we are staying by Termini not where we stayed at the beginning of this trip, I’m at Hotel Italia and Kelly is at another hotel around the corner. Somehow I think we don’t need a taxi and let’s walk and find them. So with umbrella’s, suitcases and rain but joy in our hearts that we’re in Rome again we walk thru puddles up to my ankles, my suitcase is wet, backpack, so is Kelly’s plus the umbrella’s are going inside and out with the wind, yikes !

We find the hotels and agree to meet after checking in and changing into dry clothes, that was wishful thinking on my part because everything in the bag was wet! No matter, no choice, shoes are wet too so I opt for my wedge boots and am not really trusting them either on slippery cobblestones but they did okay and kept me dry. we have to eat soon but we need to get some culture first, where to get it I’m not sure yet so let’s just keep walking, the rain is way less now thankfully, ahhhh I spy culture !!! This place I have been wanting to get to since my first trip with the mom’s. Each time I’ve been by , it’s closed, today I see people around now --are they just taking photos of the courtyard or are they getting inside? I ask Kelly to check because I’m smoking. She comes back chipper it’s open !!! yahoo, prepare to be stunned I tell her.

It is the “Doria Pamphilj” here is a link on it:

http://www.doriapamphilj.it/ukipix.asp

I believe the first time I knew of it was finding it in my National Geographic book on Rome, a regret, not buying the audio guide but it was still was very good ! I am wondering if Julie has been here to see the Caravaggio?

Edited: 16 November 2010, 21:09
Level Contributor
745 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: italy fantastic country part6 - Rome

The audioguide to the Doria Pamphilj is certainly very interesting, but its usefulness depends on what your interests are. It is quite good on the art and the history of the palace, but absolutely useless on the small but fine collection of antiquities, which are also almost completely unlabelled.

It is a place well worth visiting, even if only for the palace itself.

Edited: 16 November 2010, 21:17
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
3,377 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: italy fantastic country part6 - Rome

Herodotus, have you ever bought the books they sell inside ? I am considering purchasing one for more in-depth information.

Level Contributor
745 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: italy fantastic country part6 - Rome

No, I am afraid not. My interest tends to centre on the archaeology, and they had nothing to offer on that when I was there.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: italy fantastic country part6 - Rome

There's no need to buy or even to rent the audioguide:

>>Interactive audioguide in Italian, English and French included in the price of the ticket (except for groups)<<

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
3,377 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: italy fantastic country part6 - Rome

wow i didn't know that, I didn't even notice the audioguides till we were going thru and since it was an unplanned visit I had not read up on it recently but it is incredibly beautiful and I do plan on going back so this tip will sure be useful.

Level Contributor
745 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: italy fantastic country part6 - Rome

Yes, Zerlina is quite correct, and the audioguide is worthwhile. It is done by one of the family, and there are several family anecdotes that help to bring the palace to life.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
3,377 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: italy fantastic country part6 - Rome

We slowly walk thru taking in the majestic rooms, art and furnishings, I had thought of getting one of their books while I was there but decided no next time since I definitely am planning to come back.

We had no lunch nor breakfast just coffee before leaving Sorrento so food was in order and we of course want to head over to the Pantheon and get our glimpse and than head to Osteria Spaghetti, my favorite place in all of Rome.

flickr.com/photos/…

and it feels like coming home, to our Rome home, we have not been back since the March trip and we get big hugs and catch up and Sergio knows we’re starving and gets us right away an antipasto plate that was so delicious but we told him, we are just getting started !

http://flic.kr/p/8Rk1YU - see for yourself and the melon was perfect !

smiling Sergio:

http://flic.kr/p/8RgWga

we’ve had spritz but I don’t what I don’t know why Sergio’s are the best hands down. Me and Kelly take a sip and just sigh, this is a spritz. We were originally outside but the heaven’s opened up again and we moved inside. We see Georgio and Jorga and the girls and everyone is big smiles and happy to see us, they are asking about all the girls and where is Lilly and we are feeling so incredibly happy to be there.

8. Re: italy fantastic country part6 - Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 November 2010, 16:53
Ireland
Level Contributor
1,905 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: italy fantastic country part6 - Rome

Jeanetta, thank you - another wonderful trip report!

Tell Kelly, no more tears!! Roll on August!! (and see you in Paris in Feb!!)

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,905 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: italy fantastic country part6 - Rome

*doh*

Double post

Edited: 20 November 2010, 21:05