We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hepl needed, please re , well all sorts really

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ashby
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hepl needed, please re , well all sorts really

Hi

I am taking my two sons age 17 and 19 to Rome from 23rd to 26th Dec.

We lost my husband this yr , so don't want to 'do' Christmas at home

So im a bit scared now its just me

We are staying at the Rex via Torino, says its close to the central railway st.

Can anyone tell me what to get on via metro from Fiumicino airport

also as we are only there for a short time what to visit, I have been on line and found a company, skip the line,,viator, its about £45 each for Vatican ect , is that worth booking as I have heard its a long wait

Any other tips would be much appreciated

Thanks

Pasadena, CA
Level Contributor
472 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hepl needed, please re , well all sorts really

There is an express train from the airport to Termini station. I believe it is well marked. For detailed information about the airport and Termini, Google "Ron in Rome":, an American living in Rome. He has detailed information with photographs showing you exactly where to go and what to do.

The Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel will be closed on December 25 and 26th. It is open the 23rd and 24th during regular hours. If you get in early enough on the 23rd I would plan to go that day - the earlier before Christmas the better. St. Peter's will, undoubtedly, be closing early on the 24th in preparation for Holy Mass that evening. Other than that St. Peter's should be open during regular hours, but on Christmas Day the Pope gives his "Urbi et Orbi" speech and blessing to the crowd in the piazza at Noon. Go if you like crowds; or avoid it if you don't. For more detailed info on the Vatican go to the website, www.vatican.va.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hepl needed, please re , well all sorts really

I'm sure you guys will have a very different and great Christmas in Rome, it's a very pretty time of year with all the Markets and lights around the city. :)

From the airport you can take the express train called the Leonardo Express directly to Termini, the main train station (which is indeed pretty close to Via Torino). It costs 13 or 14 Euros a person, and takes about 30 minutes. Here's there trenitalia schedule for it, so you can get an idea what time you'll be able to catch it: www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

From there really it would be faster to just walk, rather then take the Metro any stop (It's actually closer to Termini than the next stop Republica)

During Christmas time you should aim to have reservations for the Vatican if you won't be also entering with a tour, since it's an extremely busy week.

Pasadena, CA
Level Contributor
472 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hepl needed, please re , well all sorts really

One more thing: The Romans all go out to eat on Christmas Eve, so pick a restaurant in advance and reserve before you come to Rome.

Ashby
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hepl needed, please re , well all sorts really

Many thanks,,, do we then walk to our hotel or get a metro ?, sorry to sound dense .Regards Linda

rome
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hepl needed, please re , well all sorts really

the train costs 14 euros per person, you are 3, so a fixed rate taxi (at 40 euros) will be cheaper and even more convenient and will take you directly to your hotel. If you need to budget, take the bus to Termini for 8 Euros each.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
9,453 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hepl needed, please re , well all sorts really

You can book your Vatican Museum tkts. thru their official site www.vatican.va and 'skip the line' .

Ashby
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hepl needed, please re , well all sorts really

Brillaint we will take a taxi,are they all fixed or do we have to look out for a 'type' of taxi

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hepl needed, please re , well all sorts really

I agree with wine-gal. For three people, the taxi is cheaper than the train. Just make sure you go to the official taxi stand outside the arrivals terminal and get an official Rome taxi. Do not accept any solicitations for taxis inside or outside the terminal. There is a queue, and the taxis take clients in turn. The 40 euro fixed fare is for up to four people, and includes luggage, and is valid 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, so don't let a driver pull any extra charges on you. Also, make sure the driver is aware that you know about the 40-euro fixed fare. Mention it to him before getting in the taxi.

If you decide instead to take the train (14 euros each) or the bus (8 euros each) to Termini station, you would just walk to your hotel from there. It's literally only a few minutes' walk.

The prices you've quoted for Viator are excessive. Tickets to the Vatican Museums are 15 euros for adults, 8 euros for students under age 26 with a valid school id. There is a 4-euro reservation fee for reserving online, but I strongly suggest you do so, because it allows you to skip the line. If you want a guided tour, the Vatican Museum offers these for 31 euros full price, 25 euros reduced (with no reservation fee, I believe). There are also guided tours which include St. Peter's Basilica for just a little more. (Both tours include the Sistine Chapel, which is part of the Vatican Museums.)

Here is the official web site, which shows the various ticket and tour options:

…vatican.va/musei/tickets/do…

Visiting St. Peter's Basilica is free. There is a line for a security check, but it moves quickly. If you leave the Sistine Chapel through the door for tour groups, you will be right at the entrance to the Basilica, avoiding the security line. (You will have passed through a security line to enter the museums.)

Rome is a very easy city to visit on your own, so don't worry about that. You may want to ask at your hotel about restaurants for the evening of the 24th and Christmas day. On Christmas Eve, many restaurants offer elaborate fixed menu meals, which tend to be expensive (and also more than I can eat.) If you don't want that, look for a pizzeria or something simpler. Your hotel may be able to help. Many restaurants will be closed on Christmas Day, but the hotel should be able to help with that also.

The Basilica Church of Santa Maria degli Angeli e Martiri has an annual organ concert at 11:15 on Christmas Day, or at least they have had in past years. No announcement has been made yet for this year, but these things tend to get announced at the last minute in Italy. This church is very near your hotel, on Piazza della Repubblica. It was constructed in the ruins of the ancient Roman Baths of Diocletian. Since many things are closed on Christmas day, this might be a nice way to spend a few hours.

Most museums and archeological sites are open on the 26th. If your flight isn't in the morning, the hotel should be willing to hold your bags while you do a little last minute sightseeing. You can see a good deal of the ancient Roman Forum and the Colosseum without entering the sites, so you might want to visit these on Christmas day also, if you don't have time on any of the other days. These sites are a 15- to 20-minute walk from your hotel.

You can also visit the piazzas of central Rome on any day, including the 25th. The Pantheon, being a church, should be open for masses on the 25th, but they would definitely close early.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask them here.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hepl needed, please re , well all sorts really

I took my mom and brothers to Rome the year we lost my father and it was a great way to spend the holiday. The change of scenery was just what everyone needed and the city was dressed up for the holidays and very pretty.

Check the hours for the Vatican Museums as they were shorter than normal when we were there at Christmas. We went about an hour before they stopped letting people in and did not even have to wait for 15 minutes.

I would book a reservation for Christmas dinner in advance. Your hotel concierge should be able to help.

I would choose what to visit based on their and your interests. There is so much to see and do you will have to narrow down the list.

Have a wonderful trip with your sons.

Banbury, United...
Level Contributor
934 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hepl needed, please re , well all sorts really

First of all sorry to hear of your loss.

When you arrive at Termini,if you get the train or bus. The Street that your hotel is on is only a couple of minutes walk....I stayed in a hotel on the same street this year....you have picked a great location...we found every thing walkable.

Have a great time....its a wonderfull city.