We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where in Rome?

Pafos
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Topic
where in Rome?

hi to all.My wife and me will be in Rome next month for five nights.Its our first time there and we are really excited..I'd like to ask where in your opinion is the best area to stay.As first time visitors we'd like to explore the city,sightseen,be close the famous attractions and in generall close the the amenities that we can walk nicely.Also to include nice night life as we are 30yrs old.Thank you very much for ur time.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,097 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where in Rome?

It would be helpful if you could indicate how much you are hoping to spend per night, in euros.

The most popular area is around Piazza Navona and the Pantheon. Because it is the most popular, it is also the most expensive. If you go to www.venere.com you can sort by area and price.

Pafos
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: where in Rome?

Last year in Barcelona we stayed in a nice and clean 3 stars hotel with 90EUR per night..we expect for something similar.I only care to be clean room in good condition as we will be in the room only to sleep,not use hotels facilities etc.thanx

3. Re: where in Rome?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2010, 13:28
Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: where in Rome?

If the OP is looking for a double for 90 Euro, Gilda and Jackie O might not be in his price range.

Campo dei Fiori, it is true, is frequented by a young (mostly well under 30) and sometimes rowdy crowd, but it is not unsafe. Neither are Trastevere and Testaccio.

It also depends on the OP's definition of nightlife. He might not mean a disco or a nightclub.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
35,511 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where in Rome?

Also, star ratings in Italy are an indication of amenities and not quality. If you are not interested in hotel amenities you can look at one or two star hotels. I would suggest looking on venere.com for hotels within your budget. The central areas are trevi, pantheon and navona while the less expensive areas are the termini and vatican areas. All are within walking distance to the sites and safe. Some areas are more lively than others and it depends on what, exactly, you're looking for as to the best area for you.

Donna

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,064 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where in Rome?

We stayed at the Hotel Accademia in Rome in July and found the location terrific for seeing the sights.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where in Rome?

We were staying in the Campo dei Fiori area just last weekend, and noticed the sign outside of one of Cyprus' official offices - actually the Cypriot representative at the FAO - in the adjacent square, Piazza Farnese, directly opposite the French Embassy, which is in the magnificent Palazzo of the same name.

Although it's by no means the quietest part of Rome, especially on weekend evenings, it's very enjoyable and in a decade of staying there we've never felt at all concerned - shall we say more Paphos than Ayia Napa?

Peter

PS - we didn't take advantage of the opportunity, but currently there's the very rare chance to see inside their Palazzo...

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k40580…

Epsom, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where in Rome?

MY wife and i just returned from our 3 rd visit to Rome and we rented an apartment between Campo dei Fiori and the Jewish Ghetto and we found it the best location compared to our previous visits.

All the major locations are within walking distance with the COLLESIUM taking about 30 minutes.

There are so many resturants in the surrounding area and the neighbourhood of Trastevere only 10 minute walk.

As we were familiar with Rome it cost us only 36 euros for both of us from FCO to our apartment and the return leg in total as the TRAM no 8 went just past our apartment.(fco to Stazione Trastevere and then tram no 8 to our apartment- 70 minutes one way)

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where in Rome?

You cannot be any more central than Hotel Abruzzi, right at the Pantheon: http://www.hotelabruzzirome.com

It is a nice 3-star hotel which receives good reviews, in a busy and charming location. If you stay 3 nights or more, their double, overlooking the Pantheon, starts at 84 euro a night - I think very reasonable.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,230 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: where in Rome?

Where you stay in Rome depends on both your budget and how convenient you want your lodging placed. Centro Storico is the area around the Pantheon, Campo Fiori, and Piazza Navona. It is considered the center of modern Rome and everyone likes/wants to stay there because you can walk to a great number of Rome sites. Because of its popularity, lodging in Centro Storico command a premium to other areas. Same with the Spanish steps. You have to balance your budget restrictions with your convenience factor.

Trastevere, the areas around the Colosseum (Monti, Celio), Barberini area, Vatican are not as central but reasonably charming and convenient. Using Public transport (reasonable good and cheap in Rome), these areas are reasonably convenient.

At the other end of the spectrum is the area around Termini. This area gets a bad rep, but violent crime in Rome is very low by American standards, and I have stayed in this neighborhood overnight and walked around there more than once after dark with no bad effects. Lodging near here is some of the cheapest in central Rome, but you have to take public transport to nearly all the major sites it you don’t feel like walking 1-2 miles to get there. The other down side is that is charmless and modern