We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Take Photos inside St. Peter's

Texas
Level Contributor
815 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Take Photos inside St. Peter's

Hello everyone,

Are we able to take video pictures inside St. Peters?

Thank you for your help.

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,713 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Take Photos inside St. Peter's

As I recall, the only place where photography is prohibited is the Sistine Chapel. You can record in St. Peter's.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
51 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Take Photos inside St. Peter's

Just back from St. Peter's two days ago. No photos or video in the Sistine, though we snuck a few snapshots. You also couldn't take any photos or video in the Popes' crypt under the basilica.

Texas
Level Contributor
815 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Take Photos inside St. Peter's

Thank you, and I'm so sorry--I find I have asked this question before and have had it answered kindly and very thoroughly. I found the question and replies in my subscriptions. Thank you all.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
379 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Take Photos inside St. Peter's

Pictures in St Peter's are fine, just watch out where you're walking while doing so since there are sometimes services ongoing.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,187 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Take Photos inside St. Peter's

The only places you can't and shouldn't take pictures are in the smaller side chapels when there are services going on. Other than that you may take pictures and videos.

Donna

london
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Take Photos inside St. Peter's

You can certainly take pictures/videos inside St. Peter's as there are no paintings but replicas of them and various decorations in mosaic, so you can use camera w/flash light as well. The only chapel in the Church which is not open (never) to visitors is the Chapel of Sacrament. That is available only for people who want to pray, and/or (as already posted) chapels where/if service is in progress.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,293 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Take Photos inside St. Peter's

I was there in October. The only restriction we had was against FLASH pictures. I took pictures everywhere and was amazed at the good quality I got without any flash from my new little 12MP inexpensive Canon camera. However, the Sistine chapel is kept fairly dark to protect the art so it is difficult to get any decent shots anyway. The Vatican Souvenir shops have outstanding photos and post cards so you can get a photo memory of just about anything

you want without taking your own photos.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
52,850 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Take Photos inside St. Peter's

You will see many security folks at Sistine Chapel yelling at the tourists "no flash!"

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,187 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Take Photos inside St. Peter's

No one should be taking pictures inside the Sistine Chapel. There are signs letting you know it is off limits. There are also signs telling you where flash is off limits. If you just adhere to what the signs say you'll be fine. During the day the basilica is bright enough not to have to worry about a flash anyway.

Donna

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Take Photos inside St. Peter's

Because of the vast size, a flash is practically useless in St. Peter's Basilica. You would get the foreground bright and the background deep in shadows.