We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gladiator Schools? help please

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
pacific northwest
Level Contributor
621 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Gladiator Schools? help please

Hello,

We are traveling to Rome in March, with our 2 teen sons and they would love to go to a gladiator school! Any recommendations, personal experiences or know of a way to reserve a spot, best school/company?

Any help appreciated!

Thank you

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
9,453 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gladiator Schools? help please

Type in 'gladiator school' in the search bar above the posts, looks like viator.com offers one. Have fun!

Edited: 08 December 2010, 13:28
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,024 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gladiator Schools? help please

For the best gladiator experience buy a copy of Starz series, Spartacus Blood and Sand. The fighting scenes are enhanced like video games. The down side is there is a lot of nudity in (male and female) in general, and the arterial spray from the wounds and the organs (heart, intestines, etc) are anatomically correct. The leaps are awesome.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Gladiator Schools? help please

I've actually been told by a lot of folks that the Gladiator schools are a lot of money and maybe only entertaining for kids. But something tells me teenage boys could enjoy it then?

In the past I have been referred to the "Scuola Gladiatori Roma", where a 2 hour lesson of sorts costs something like 150 Euros for 2 pax.

pacific northwest
Level Contributor
621 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gladiator Schools? help please

Thank you! will check out the school mentioned. Not really interested in the video game(If that was what it is?) but am hoping someone here also has actually gone to one of these schools?

Thank you for your help!

Edited: 08 December 2010, 16:59
Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Gladiator Schools? help please

As far as I know, there's only one gladiator school in Rome, the one run by the Gruppo Storico Romano on Via Appia Antica. This poster was not impressed:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k38777…

Edited: 08 December 2010, 17:17
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,024 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gladiator Schools? help please

"Not really interested in the video game(If that was what it is?)"

It is not a video game. It's a historical drama. they took pains to make it historically accurate. Spartacus was a real person.

Sorry I brought it up.

It would have been a cheaper and more educational than gladiator school.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
159 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Gladiator Schools? help please

Wow, I don't think it's fair to assume the OP didn't know who Spartacus was. I think she just misunderstood you.

Not everyone has to choose the most economical and most educational experiences for their vacation. I'm sure the suggeestion was appreciated, but again the OP didn't ask for something more educational and cost-conscious.

Of course that doesn't mean you couldn't suggest it, but I don't think implying that the OP is a moron because she didn't like your suggestion is necessary either.

pacific northwest
Level Contributor
621 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gladiator Schools? help please

Will check out the review, thanks for the link.

I didn't understand that it was a drama you were mentioning, do you have a link for it? We may be interested in that. (I actually do know who Sparticus was... and do appreciate the heads up on the drama, Sorry for misunderstanding)

I did try emailing that gladiator school and the email came back so will try again.

Thank you all!

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
276 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gladiator Schools? help please

Here's an article about gladiator schools I came across.

telegraph.co.uk/travel/3386286/Those-who-are…

Level Contributor
745 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gladiator Schools? help please

I would certainly think very carefully before spending the money on this. The link provided by Zerlina is only one of a number of posts on these Forums expressing great dissatisfaction with the gladiator school. It would pay you to do a search on the Forum to see some of the opinions expressed.