We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alitalia - should I book a fare with them?

Melbourne, Australia
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Alitalia - should I book a fare with them?

My family are travelling from Rome to Athens then on to a Greek Island and it seems we have 2 choices - either go to Athens the day before we need to fly to the island or book an 8am flight with Alitalia to catch a 2pm flight to the island. My travel agent has some concerns about Alitalia and won't/can't book fares with them. She thinks they might go out of business. What should I do?

Edited: 08 December 2010, 04:14
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,487 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alitalia - should I book a fare with them?

Your travel agent must know something that nobody else knows. I have done some Google searching, and can find nothing from the past year or so about Alitalia being in financial trouble.

Try getting advice from another travel agent.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alitalia - should I book a fare with them?

Look for a new travel agent!

Peter

London
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Alitalia - should I book a fare with them?

Alitalia has been 'going out of busines' for about five years now, I wouldn't worry... I've travelled with them and had no problem, in fact I'd recommend.

Edited: 08 December 2010, 11:24
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,831 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Alitalia - should I book a fare with them?

Take the more convenient flight in the morning and fly Alitalia – And yes, find another travel agent!

Recent US to Italy Alitalia Flyers - Opinions?:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k40804…

Vagabonda

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
3,377 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alitalia - should I book a fare with them?

hmmm I've got mixed feeling about this...I had costly Alitalia situation, it's it my trip report what happened : …wordpress.com/italy-fantastic-country-part-…

vagabonda is it getting better? I wont' forget u helping me thru this.

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,065 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alitalia - should I book a fare with them?

My only thought about this (never having flown Alitalia) is that if your 2 flights are on separate tickets and you miss your second flight because the first flight is late, you just lose the money for your 2nd flight. I would either fly the day before or plan a long connecting time between the flights.

boston
Level Contributor
74 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alitalia - should I book a fare with them?

i use alitalia sometimes.not like they use to be,but,there not going out of bus.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,791 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alitalia - should I book a fare with them?

As already stated, they've been 'going out of business' for a while now and obviously haven't.

In September this year, I went from Barcelona to FCO, no problems. But, the flight from FCO to Pisa was delayed by over an hour and then for another 30 mins they changed the Gate 3 times. (weather was not a factor) We all boarded the shuttle bus to the plane on the tarmac, and waited another 15 mins so they could figure which plane. The exact same carry-on bag I boarded the plane with in Barcelona, for whatever reason, had to be checked for the Pisa leg of my trip.

As btgm suggested, either fly the day before or have a longer connecting time between your flights just in case of a delay.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,831 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Alitalia - should I book a fare with them?

Nothing is getting better with airlines anywhere, and there’s not much difference between airlines these days.

And if you need a transatlantic connection on the same ticket from Rome or Milan, Alitalia is the airline to fly. It’s always risky booking on two separate tickets.

It’s a waste of time to fly on two different days however if your connection is tight, there’s a good chance your luggage won’t arrive with you. That’s not Alitalia’s fault, but the ground crew at your originating airport or your connecting airport.

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,831 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Alitalia - should I book a fare with them?

Hi j3dnight,

Alitalia has improved since its days of bankruptcy and crisis in 2008 when it merged with Air One, but you could always fly an Alitalia partner airline like Delta to an Italian airport like Rome, Milan, Pisa, or Venice, and then connect with Alitalia to your required airport within Italy. It’s really the only way to travel on one ticket with a transatlantic flight to Italy, and Alitalia has a better baggage allowance than the low cost airlines.

Vagabonda