We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gift Ideas

Shanghai Region...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Gift Ideas

Hi TA's,

I am in need of suggestions for gifts to bring home after my visit to Roma. Can anyone recommend where I can find quality chocolates and scarves?

Any other ideas are welcomed.

Thanks all.

Edited: 12 December 2010, 22:30
Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
23,092 reviews
from US$76.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
531 reviews
from US$412.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Tour...
2,855 reviews
from US$123.90*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
11,653 reviews
from US$57.40*
Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
11,619 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gift Ideas

Recently there was a thread regarding playing cards as gifts, which apparently are quite unique in Italy. Try the search bar above the posts "playing cards". Sorry, I don't know how to cut & paste a post:-(((( , will have to get my son to show me.

The cards have batons, swords, cups, coins and the face cards go in order from least to highest, i.e., Lady/page, horse, king. You can easily buy them in the Tabacci shops (displaying the big T)..

Regarding scarves, all the street vendors sell them, 5-7 Euro. I have some that are 8 years old and still in great condition. My friends are still enjoying theirs too.

I'm sure there's some great candy stores, but me, my family & friends are quite pleased with the Perugina products you can buy in the grocery -- especially the Pocket Coffees & Baci, which are difficult to buy here where I live.

I just learned about the playing cards, when I go back next year they'll be on my list to bring back home.

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
11,214 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gift Ideas

How about some Italian Leather, l believe Florence is the place to get that. Good luck and have fun. Hubie

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gift Ideas

Airport shops have chocolates and scarves etc. All located in one place and thus you dont have to spend time searching!

Look in your own super markets before your trip. Many Italian chocolates are sold all over the world. Perugina is sold everyplace! You can buy Pocket Coffee on the inter-net..Capri Flavors sells them!.

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gift Ideas

What about a bananaguard? I am not sure if you can get it in Italy, but is available online. "Protects your banana when you’re on the move! The best guard in glorious yellow!" See more details on: …wordpress.com/2010/…

BTW, I am not sure leather is allowed in Australia - keep in mind you have very strict laws, so cheese is not an option and a lot of other things :(

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gift Ideas

That suggestion looks like something that will have place of pride at the local jumble sale!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,897 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Gift Ideas

This well known coffee house has some really wonderful products (not just coffee) - I brought some home as gifts when I was there in the Spring:

http://www.santeustachioilcaffe.it/en/

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
13,037 posts
684 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gift Ideas

Rome is not especially related to chocolate. Products like Baci and Pocket Coffee are made by world famous brands (Perugina, Ferrero) and are available in many other countries. If you look for more typical and less known hand made products, a good pastry shop is Valzani in Via del Moro (Trastevere)

valzani.it/SITO%20ARTIGIANALE_file/page0002.…

Scarves are more or less the same that you can find everywhere. A more original idea may be a supporter scarf of the AS Roma soccer club, or any other gadget of the team (the most central shops are in Piazza Colonna and in Piazza Cairoli)

http://www.asromastore.it/

I would suggest not to buy fakes at vendors, they are often bad quality and the official package would look much better!

Italian playing cards are an original and not expensive idea, and they are quite easy to carry in any bag. You can ask a tobacconist for "carte italiane" (to clarify you don't want "international" ones) and perhaps make show you the different sorts ("piacentine", "napoletane", "siciliane"...) and choose what you prefer.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
509 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gift Ideas

I bought scarves from street vendors too. Just check and see they have the "Made in Italy" label. I found lots of souvenirs made outside Italy.

On my recent trip, I bought scarves, pasta and herbs from the many pasta shops, little triangular coin purses(euro5 each), some Xmas souvenirs from Piazza Navona, and even managed to buy the Pandoro cake to eat with my dad back home. He has not been back to Italy for 43 years so it was greatly appreciated.

You will be spoilt for choice. There are just SO many things to bring home. It is just a matter of how big your suitcase is. I had to buy 3 extra suitcases to fit everything in!

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
3,377 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gift Ideas

oh I am a woman who loves scarves, I've bought some gems at Campo dei Fiori market along with other items that were really liked by the folks back home.

i've had some good luck with street vendors too ! I dislike shopping but scarves can stop me right in my tracks.

EC1 long ago posted that he picks up kitchen gadgets, i think that's a great ideal too,

Shanghai Region...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Gift Ideas

Hey everyone,

I really appreciate the responses. It's given me a good starting point which is great, as honestly I kinda dread shopping at the best of times:-)

I've read online that SAID chocolates may perhaps be the best chocolatier in Rome. Does anyone know from experience if this is the case? It looks handy being close to termini.

Also the playing cards idea is brilliant! Will definitely pick up a few packs to bring home (I'm actually now based in the UK).

Cheers..